Black or White Studio for portraits ? - Lisbon Portugal

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited November 15, 2006 in People
I need to rent a studio for portrait photography to repeat the series I have done some time ago.
It is a similar situation only this time I'll have some 100 young people to photograph.
In Lisbon there is a studio which I think is most convenient for the job.

They have two rooms: one black and another white.
To help on the navigation in case you would like to see it,
Estúdio Branco stands for White Studio ;
Estúdio Negro stands for Black Studio and
Filme Luminosidade stands for Film of Available Day Light

I think I am going to choose the White Studio because it is more easy to control the light as I am not used to studio lighting at all.

Can I have your opinion and/or advice, please ?
Thank you.

68549601-S.jpg70111897-S.jpg69317241-S.jpg68724613-S.jpg69181508-S.jpg
These are photos I shot then.
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I am not an expert, but this is how I figure it:
    • With the white walls, you will get light bounce from all directions. This can play in your favor if you need a lot of light and want to fill in shadows produced by your main light. However, I also think that this leads to a certain loss of control with all the light bouncing around.
    • The Black room - the walls will absorb most of the stray light. The only light that will illuminate your models will be that which you put there. So, you will have a lot more control of the light, but you will have to exercise better control of the light to get the results you want.
    • Another thought to keep in mind - the white room will lend itself better to high-key photography work while the black room will be set better for low-key work. Which do you want to do. From the samples you posted, it would seem that the white is a better match. OTOH - the Filme Luminosidade studio will allow you to work without lights and just use a reflector or two.
    Yeah, tough choice. It all depends on what you want to do and whether you want to work with lights or just reflectors.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I am not an expert, but this is how I figure it:
    • With the white walls, you will get light bounce from all directions. This can play in your favor if you need a lot of light and want to fill in shadows produced by your main light. However, I also think that this leads to a certain loss of control with all the light bouncing around.The
    • Black room - the walls will absorb most of the stray light. The only light that will illuminate your models will be that which you put there. So, you will have a lot more control of the light, but you will have to exercise better control of the light to get the results you want.Another
    • thought to keep in mind - the white room will lend itself better to high-key photography work while the black room will be set better for low-key work. Which do you want to do. From the samples you posted, it would seem that the white is a better match. OTOH - the Filme Luminosidade studio will allow you to work without lights and just use a reflector or two.Yeah
    , tough choice. It all depends on what you want to do and whether you want to work with lights or just reflectors.

Hi Scott, how do you do ?
    Thank you for your advice.
    I'm needing it.

The fact is that if I opt for the White Studio I' ll have the light changing with the hours and/or the weather, thought it may be - never seen it - very nice and soft thought the roof.

If so, I think I'll opt for the Black one.

On the other hand if I choose the Black Studio I don't have any experience with strobes and I am not going to pay some studio hours for a try...

Well, I still don't know... ne_nau.gif

I would like - probably - to do the work with the dark studio.
    It's a risk I'll have to take. People will be better fitted in a gray/black scenario than into a white/gray one...

Thank you Scott.thumb.gif
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    …use both :D

(ok, I'm out rolleyes1.gif )
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    dont know anything
    i liked these portraits 3rd one is my fav :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    If you have no experience with studio lighting, I would go with the white studio. You can use a single light as your main and the walls will provide the fill; you can just move around a bit in the room to control the strength of the shadows (closer to the wall = more fill). Also, typically background separation is less of a problem with a white background.

If you were more comfortable with studio lighting situations, I think black studio is actually easier because you don't have to worry about wall reflections spoiling your lighting.
    edited November 15, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    …use both :D

(ok, I'm out rolleyes1.gif )

That's is a good idea !
    But it costs twice. headscratch.gif
    No. I have to choose. :D

We - my daughter and myself - are going to visit the studios and decide then thought I think we will use the White one ...ne_nau.gif

I will post the pictures in this thread !

Merci Antoine
    edited November 15, 2006
    dont know anything
    i liked these portraits 3rd one is my fav :D

Thank you Awais.

You will like the photos I am going to take, I'm sure.
    Lots of pretty young girls !!!!...
    edited November 15, 2006
    LiquidAir wrote:
    If you have no experience with studio lighting, I would go with the white studio. You can use a single light as your main and the walls will provide the fill; you can just move around a bit in the room to control the strength of the shadows (closer to the wall = more fill). Also, typically background separation is less of a problem with a white background.

If you were more comfortable with studio lighting situations, I think black studio is actually easier because you don't have to worry about wall reflections spoiling your lighting.

Thank for your opinion.
    thumb.gif
    I think you are absolutely right.
    In fact - most probably - I will use the White one.
    You will see !!!...
    All the best. ! thumb.gif