Accidental explorations in Stanford

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited November 15, 2006 in Cameras
I've been busy lately, and haven't had much time to contribute. But I wanted to let you know what I just found. I go to Stanford Univ a few days every quarter for sampling. After I get my samples, I HAVE to ship them priority overnight, which usually takes me to a FedEx Kinko's on California Avenue not far from the campus. And you know what? I've been walking by this rather unique camera outfit and never seeing it--until today.

This place, which is actually TWO--across the street from each other--KEEBLE SHUCHAT PHOTOGRAPHY, has a lot of new and used large-format gear on one side of the street, and the small-format and digital gear on the other side.

One thing that makes this place stand out--and which they have YET to share on their website (www.kspphoto.com)--is the HUGE collection of vintage and antique photo gear. And for you Leica fans, they have a separate display showing Leicas I've never EVER seen before. Oh, forget actually BUYING any of the vintage gear (except maybe from the Leica shelves).

They even have some Hasselblad and Rollei cameras. In case you were wondering.

I also got to see some large-format printers (HP and Epson). If I had and extra five grand, I'd seriously consider getting one of the 44-inch printers. Living near Sedona, Arizona, I wonder what people would pay for huge posters of their smiling faces against the red rock scenery!

And they had all these different used filters for $3.00 apiece. THREE BUCKS! I bought four 52mm polarizing filters (4 for ten bucks) just for fun (one each Hoya, Vivitar, Kenko and...whaddya know, another Vivitar)! No IR filters, though (boo hoo) but jillions of UV ones.

Actually, I've got some ideas on how I might use those polarizing filters.

One other thing: is anyone using (or even able to obtain yet) one of the new Sigma SD-14 DSLRs? If so, tell us about it,ayy???
Steve-o

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    Hey Steve... re-check that link. I think you have the [/url] in the wrong place.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    K&S rocks. When I'm here in the Valley, I always drop in for a visit.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    It's like Toy R Us for photographers. Has anyone rented gear from them?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    Hey Steve... re-check that link. I think you have the [/url] in the wrong place.

Its not in the wrong place but for some reason here on dgrin you have to type the link name then hit the space bar a couple of time or else dgrin thinks your still typing the url....any way that is my way around it...and you can't do the space bar after inserting the url cause again it thinks it is part of the url and adds it as part of the underscore........headscratch.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    It's like Toy R Us for photographers. Has anyone rented gear from them?

I rented a large softbox from them for a weekend. I'll let you in on a secret, but don't spread it around. Since they are closed on Sundays, if you rent on Saturday and return on Monday, you only get charged for one day rental. :D

I wanted to rent a few Canon primes to try them out but they only have zooms for rent.

This is my most favorite store. I have found that not only do that have a lot of product, but the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Unlike the camera store 1 mile from my house which I never go to after the first few visits years ago,

Sam