Options

Help With Color

Tom VervaekeTom Vervaeke Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited February 12, 2004 in Cameras
Hello:

I'm trying to take some digi pics of a new motorcycle which is deep purple in color. However, both my Nikon D100 and my small Canon A80 can't get the color purple to come out if I use the flash. The bike shows as blue.

I tried altering the WB to fluorescent as the bike is in my shop and the lights overhead are 4' fluoresent tubes. However, that doesn't work.

The only way I can get the purple bike to show purple is to turn off the flash entirely. I am shooting with the D100 and the 17-35mm F2.8 lense so speed is not an issue.

Pics are here:

http://vervaeke.smugmug.com/gallery/67753/1/2362104

Look at the last 3 or 4 pics to see blue and purple. Anything purple was taken w/o flash.

I would love to hear some ideas on how to fix this.

Tom

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 11, 2004
    Hello:

I'm trying to take some digi pics of a new motorcycle which is deep purple in color. However, both my Nikon D100 and my small Canon A80 can't get the color purple to come out if I use the flash. The bike shows as blue.

I tried altering the WB to fluorescent as the bike is in my shop and the lights overhead are 4' fluoresent tubes. However, that doesn't work.

The only way I can get the purple bike to show purple is to turn off the flash entirely. I am shooting with the D100 and the 17-35mm F2.8 lense so speed is not an issue.

Pics are here:

http://vervaeke.smugmug.com/gallery/67753/1/2362104

Look at the last 3 or 4 pics to see blue and purple. Anything purple was taken w/o flash.

I would love to hear some ideas on how to fix this.
    Tom
    Are you using the sRGB color space or Adobe in your D100. It seems like the D100 should be able to reproduce purple easily with electronic flash. You did set the WB for electronic flash didn't you?

Some flourescent lights have a very discontinuous spectrum - try some tungsten lights with the D100 set up for tungsten illumination and let the forum know what happens with tungsten illumination and no flash. - Or turn off all the lights and just use flash only with WB for electronic flash.

Nice looking GSPD - My son has a 1992 ( I think it is a 1992 ) GSPD also His is Marakkesh Red tho....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Are you using the sRGB color space or Adobe in your D100. It seems like the D100 should be able to reproduce purple easily with electronic flash. You did set the WB for electronic flash didn't you?

Some flourescent lights have a very discontinuous spectrum - try some tungsten lights with the D100 set up for tungsten illumination and let the forum know what happens with tungsten illumination and no flash. - Or turn off all the lights and just use flash only with WB for electronic flash.

Nice looking GSPD - My son has a 1992 ( I think it is a 1992 ) GSPD also His is Marakkesh Red tho....
    Pathfinder:

Just checked the camera, I am using the SRGB color space. That is the default for the D100. I tried using each and every WB mode including fluorescent and flash and none had any effect at all. I got blue each and every time.

I will try to turn off all the lights and then use WB for flash. Will let you know.

This is the first time that I have ever encountered any of my digi cameras not capturing the color correctly. And, it's really only the purple of the bike. The white and other colors in the room all come out okay.

Weird, but I will somehow get to the bottom of this.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    Not sure
    pathfinder wrote:

Molson:

Thanks for the post-processing tips. I sort of figured I could fix it in PS (I use PS Elements) but really wanted to figure out the root cause.

I have no idea what is in the paint that BMW supplies on their bikes.

Shit, I'll just sell this bike and get a red one.

Tom
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    Molson:

Shit, I'll just sell this bike and get a red one.

Tom

Excellent idea...then you could sell it to me. Trade ya for some of my Nikkor lenses deal.gif

Besides, I like blue bikes.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    Don't hold your breath..
    fish wrote:
    Excellent idea...then you could sell it to me. Trade ya for some of my Nikkor lenses deal.gif

Besides, I like blue bikes.
    No trading on this one Fish. It took quite a whole to find such a nice bike for such a good price. I can live with the color...

tom