Options

Mac: Recovery of corrupt jpeg images?

dardensdardens Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited November 16, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
As I work through loading SmugMug galleries from IVMP I have discovered some old images that are partially corrupted.

Typically, some 30 to 50% of the image [from the top] displays correctly. The remainder will have a distinct color cast.

I've downloaded PhotoRescue for a trial. But it is designed to attack media card problems.

Is there a reliable tool that is designed to rescue jpegs on one's hard drive?

Mac OS X preferred, but I can also use a Windows utility.

Comments

• Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    dardens wrote:
    As I work through loading SmugMug galleries from IVMP I have discovered some old images that are partially corrupted.

Typically, some 30 to 50% of the image [from the top] displays correctly. The remainder will have a distinct color cast.

I've downloaded PhotoRescue for a trial. But it is designed to attack media card problems.

Is there a reliable tool that is designed to rescue jpegs on one's hard drive?

Mac OS X preferred, but I can also use a Windows utility.

Photo rescue should work no problem on ones HD.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Photo rescue should work no problem on ones HD.

Thanks Gary. The two tests I've tried weren't successful -- perhaps you can suggest the smart way to assess whether Photorescue is effective for file corruption. Just observing its operation, it appears to be designed to recover from directory corruption.

I've placed a sample image in a smugmug gallery -- for anyone who may wish to try a favorite recovery tool on itL

http://dardens.smugmug.com/gallery/2138833/1/110806014/Original

As I don't know how one downloads an original from smugmug, I've also placed the image at our website in this folder:

http://adagiomarine.com/damaged_jpegs/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Haven't tried any of these.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Haven't tried any of these.

Thanks for the research. I've no tested Exif Untrasher and CameraSalvage. No luck with either one. But when I uncover the next corrupted image I'll try them again.

File Juicer 4.6.1 is an extractor not a salvor, so I didn't try that.

Cheers, Steve