Tuscany by Photocat, Part 6 : Arezzo

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited November 27, 2006 in Journeys
It is hard to keep shooting after Siena, as it makes you wonder if you will see anything like it again. But here we go, on Saturday we go to Arezzo,
I start my tour of Arezzo with the statue of Vittorio Fossombroni. This statue has been in Piazza San Francesco in front of the church since 1864.?Fossombroni was born in Arezzo in 1754 and died in Firenze in 1844. He graduated in engineering from the university of Pisa and was both a scientist and a politician. In fact he worked as an engineer for the Grand Duke of Tuscany but had a relevant role in the political life of the time too: he was prime minister for many years. He did quite many works in town but he is mainly famous for the drainage of the marshy Valdichiana, one of the four vallies around Arezzo.

110553382-L.jpg

One of the many palazzo, embellished with paintings looking like they are stamped on.

110553484-L.jpg

Reflection in a window

110553528-L.jpg

I walk in the main street named Corso Italia. As it is saturday, lots of shoppers around.

110553592-L.jpg

I will spend more then an hour in this street, it has everything. Life, shops, people, pets...

110553626-L.jpg

Again the message is look everywhere, up, down, sideways, can't miss a spot

110553696-L.jpg

Too soon to go for lunch, the sign is very attractive though

110553785-L.jpg

The orange boy with the orange balloons, he was shy...

110553825-L.jpg

Door knockers galore...

110553891-L.jpg

110553953-L.jpg

Extremely pink...

110553992-L.jpg

Extremely pink, the sequel

110554021-L.jpg

I have a cola sitting on a nice terrace, when a parade is passing

110554056-L.jpg

Females in the second batch

110554090-L.jpg

Brass looks out of this world in this city

110554131-L.jpg

I suspect that this is the church of San Francesco seen from the Corsa Italia

110554167-L.jpg

And we need to see at least one altar with Maria

110554202-L.jpg

The stone carving on the top of the door has suffered badly, only a vague impression left

110554255-L.jpg

The bells for the habitants of this building, first and second floor

110554294-L.jpg

Another Holy Mary

110554316-L.jpg

If you want to eat good and cheap, you go to the trattoria, as I told in an earlier post. This is where the locals go to eat, and the food is heavenly...

110554358-L.jpg

They make take-away pizza

110554384-L.jpg

The inside, badly shot as I did not want to flash, ISO 3200, rather grainy. But you can see what I mean. No fancy stuff, but wonderful food

110554439-L.jpg

Pomodoro with basil, I must have asked the wrong question as I get cherry tomatoes... I wanted big sliced tomatoes. I eat it anyway.

110554476-L.jpg

If you want bread, the lady of the house cuts it in front of your eyes. They have a furniture piece especially for this. A big pupiter with a cutting area on top

110554493-L.jpg

After my fabulous lunch, I continue my walk through the city, more doors in sight

110554544-L.jpg

110554570-L.jpg

Real pasta...

110554601-L.jpg

Can you say CHEESE

110554621-L.jpg

One of the back doors of the Pieve of Santa Maria, one of the largest and most attractive Romanesque “Pievi” in Tuscany and certainly the emblem of Medieval times in Arezzo. It was first built in the XIIth century, probably on the site of a Roman temple dedicated to the god Mercury, but was then enlarged and completed in the following two centuries.* The* facade is quite original, three orders of 'loggie' one on the top of the other with a different number of columns in each one. In 1330 the mighty bell-tower was erected to create a kind of link* with God in heaven. It is commonly called 'the Bell-tower of the Hundred Holes' for the many windows in it

110554662-L.jpg

Facing the Pieve, a fountain and a beautiful antique store

110554750-L.jpg

110554802-L.jpg

One of the many doors for the Pieve of Santa Maria

110554887-L.jpg

And a view downwards the Corsa Italia with the Pieve on the left

110554926-L.jpg

Giorgio Vasari was very well known in Italy as a* painter, architect and a writer too. He was the architect of the Uffizi in Florence, and the Logge Vasari in Arezzo. *
Giorgio Vasari was born on 30th July 1511 in Arezzo.
When Giorgio was 13 years old he went to Michelangelo's workshop in Florence. A short time later he had to come back to Arezzo to live with his family because his father had died from the plague.*
In 1550 he was renowned in Florence. In fact he was called by Cosmo I to work there building the Uffizi Palace.
During his life he travelled so much, he visited Naples, Verona, Mantua and Rome where he wrote a book: "vite dei più eccellent architetti, pittori, scrittori e scultori " .*
In 1541 he bought a house in Arezzo, in Via XX Settembre in Borgo S.Vito, which he himself restored and refurbished. Five years later they moved to Florence, where he lived for 20 years. *
After Vasari’s death the house was passed to his heirs and finally it in 1911 it became propriety of the State .

110554960-L.jpg

There is a legend in town about the choice of the place where to build this the Pieve of Santa Maria : on 7th August 301 Donato, the bishop of the time, was publicly beheaded on the top of the hill (where you can now find the Cathedral). It is said that his head started to roll down the hill and stopped exactly where now the Pieve is. Donato was then made patron saint of the city. This legend would so explain why St. Donato's relics are kept here.

110554993-L.jpg

Palazzo Pretorio is situated in Via dei Pileati, that is how the upper stretch of Corso Italia is called. It is one of the most impressive buildings in town and is now the seat of the central library of Arezzo. It consists of three different buildings which belonged in the past to three important families of the town: Albergotti, Sassoli and Lodomeri. These buildings can be dated back to the XIIIth century but were later enlarged and transformed just like the other buildings in Corso Italia. Palazzo Sassoli, for example, has been used as a prison for over 500 years since the XIVth century. We can still see the bars on the windows in some old photos.*
On the facade you can admire quite many XVth and XVIth century coats of arms which do not only belong to the main families in town but also to captains or podestàs who had played a relevant role in the town political life.
110555107-L.jpg

110555055-L.jpg

A gallery takes me to the Piazza Grande. It is the lodge, designed and built by Vasari. It used to have the most expensive stores in Arezzo, and was the place for the richest families to take their walks in.

110555147-L.jpg

Passing an attractive Bric-a-brac store...

110555186-L.jpg

Mirrored in the window of the antiques store is the other side of the Pieva Santa Maria. The apse of the Pieve is one of the buildings on the west side of the square. As in the facade, there are some 'logge' here too. But unfortunately this part of the church was badly restored in the years 1864-1878 and what we see today is far from the original pure romanesque style.

110555365-L.jpg

The Fraternita dei Laici is part of the Law Court but it is still called by the name of Fraternita dei Laici. In fact it was originally built* for the Confraternity of St. Maria*in the late XIVth century.
The Fraternita dei Laici was a fraternity of religious laymen which was founded in 1262, thanks to*some Domenicans monks. Its main task was to help the poor and needy, the rectors used to go round the town twice a week and beg for bread and money. In the XVth century the Fraternita was rich enough to stop begging and became richer and richer in the following centuries: many noblemen left it their possessions and money.*
During the Renaissance the Fraternita was quite important in town where they involved other fields, such as culture - it had its own schools of civil law and logics and gave citizens grants to study at the University of Pisa* and even abroad. *
The construction of the building started in 1375, but some years later the works stopped because the town had lost its independence. In 1433 Rossellino continued to work, but the building was finished only one century later after Vasari did the drawings for the facade. In the end it was the result of different styles: Gothic, Renaissance and late Renaissance.*
In 1552 Felice da Fossato built the clock which is at the top of
the building This clock is one of the most ancient still working today in Italy.
110555333-L.jpg

The piazza is bordered off with very nice houses and Palaces

110555437-L.jpg

A little boy playing in front of the Fraternita

110555697-L.jpg

110555488-L.jpg

The door of the Fraternita

110555591-L.jpg

110555617-L.jpg

The building of the Law Court was built in the XVIIIth century after a design by Francesco Cerrotti. It lies between the apse of the Pieve and the building of the Fraternita dei Laici. It is probably the only Baroque building in town: quite remarkable are the staircase, which was built in 1780 and some finely wrought iron bars at the windows.

110555658-L.jpg

The apt has a strange quirk in one of the columns...

110555759-L.jpg

The fountain in the west side of the Piazza, the pigeons take their bath in it, and I sit there and watch them for a long time
110555728-L.jpg

110555829-L.jpg

La vita e Bella was partially filmed here on this square

110555784-L.jpg

110555876-L.jpg

110555915-L.jpg

110555937-L.jpg

Nightlamps in a little antique store

110555959-L.jpg

Jacobo is riping in front of his moms antique store... He is not bored no, he is RIPING
110556007-L.jpg

His mom has nice stuff in her little store

110556057-L.jpg

110556076-L.jpg

110556140-L.jpg

110556109-L.jpg

Another store where you would want to go in and never come out again

110556176-L.jpg

On our way to the train station in Arezzo I have a talk with some homeless people. My heart breaks again for them, I wished I could do more then give them some money. They have two dogs in their company, and I feel sad for the animals too. It's a hard life on the streets.

110556260-L.jpg

110556219-L.jpg

110556309-L.jpg

Most of the people pass them without even looking at them, I never get used to seeing homeless people. They touch me. Don't know why.
They are planning to go to Rome soon. We chat for a while, boy they are smelly. They probably don't wash themselves. All in all, it stays sad to see young people like them wondering around, going from place to place, without setteling in, and with no future...

110556372-L.jpg

One of my co-travellers is snapping too

110556404-L.jpg

Time to leave Arezzo and go back to the farm. (To be continued)

http://www.fossombroni.it/monuments/PRINCIPALI/piazzagrande_principal.htm
is the link for more info on Arezzo...

110556438-L.jpg

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Wow, sounds like you had a great time there, and did a lot! And you got some great shots to prove it!

I love the pillar with the quirk in it :D

Do you know what the parade was for?
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Wow, sounds like you had a great time there, and did a lot! And you got some great shots to prove it!

I love the pillar with the quirk in it :D

Do you know what the parade was for?

neen, geen idee... En mijn italiaans is onbestaande, beetje hard om dan uitleg te vragen.
    Bedankt voor het commentaar! Zeer gesmaakt!
    edited November 16, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    neen, geen idee... En mijn italiaans is onbestaande, beetje hard om dan uitleg te vragen.
    Bedankt voor het commentaar! Zeer gesmaakt!
    Graag gedaan :D

I love this, readable, but slightly broken dutch. Very cute iloveyou.gifbarb
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Graag gedaan :D

I love this, readable, but slightly broken dutch. Very cute iloveyou.gifbarb

AAAGGGGGRRRR, mijn dutch is slightly broken??? AAAGGGGRRRR, ik ben een vlaams sprekende belg. Mijn nederlands(vlaams) zou moeten impekabel zijn... Grinnik. Mijn leven in Engeland heeft waarschijnlijk mijn nederlands om zeep geholpen... (wat betekent dat ik half engels spreek en schrijf en nu ook half vlaams!!!)
    edited November 16, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    AAAGGGGGRRRR, mijn dutch is slightly broken??? AAAGGGGRRRR, ik ben een vlaams sprekende belg. Mijn nederlands(vlaams) zou moeten impekabel zijn... Grinnik. Mijn leven in Engeland heeft waarschijnlijk mijn nederlands om zeep geholpen... (wat betekent dat ik half engels spreek en schrijf en nu ook half vlaams!!!)
    :hide

Don't worry, my dutch is pretty poor after having lived abroad for several years as well. I still like your photos :D
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    You were having too much fun!
    I think it helps so much to have fresh eyes in a new place. There's just so much to see and take in. I've enjoyed your journeys very much.clap.gif
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Mooi reeks Cat!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Another really nice series....bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif now may I ask what the parade is for as I do not speak dutch or deutch or anything other than american as of now.rolleyes1.gifD

thanks for sharing...still looking for more
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Lovely series. Thanks for sharing!