Sell 35mm Nikon System?

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited November 17, 2006 in Cameras
OK, so I've hung on to my Nikon 35mm system for years, I suppose for nostalgia's sake. I'm still not sure if I want to hang on to it, put it under glass or something. :dunno On the other hand, I suppose I could turn it into some amount of cash in order to buy one, or perhaps two, good lenses for my digital Canon. :deal I know its value is limited, and nothing compared to what it once was.

Would anyone help me to hazard a guess as to the value and marketability of the following equipment?

Nikon FE-2 black body
Nikkor AI-S 24mm f/2.8
Nikkor AI-S 55mm f/2.8 Micro
Nikkor AI-S 35-105 f/3.5/4.5
Nikkor AI-S 80-200 f/4.0
Nikon SB-24 Speedlight
Misc. Nikon filters, cables, close-up lenses

Camera and lenses are in near-new condition, 9 or so on a 1-10.

Any advice/input appreciated.:scratch
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 16, 2006
    One of my favorite sources for Nikkor lens info is: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/

but that's mainly for info, not so much on selling. unfortunately, I don't have much to suggest besides ebay and KEH.

I'd be very interested in at least one of those AI-S lenses though (28mm). Uh, with great glass like that, why on earth did you get a Canon dslr?
    eek7.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    KEH has an online quoting system. You should at least be able to get a price for the body. After you finish crying, check what they'll pay vs what they sell the same body for & you should be able to get some idea for the lenses.

I ran through the quoting for my old Minolta Maxxum system & decided it wasn't worth the trouble. :cry
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Uh, with great glass like that, why on earth did you get a Canon dslr? eek7.gif

Price, the desire for great AF, and image stabilization. At the time, it came down to an XTi or a D70, so I took the leap to Canon. It's my first Canon, after having shot Nikon for 25 years. As long as I keep the Nikon glass, I can always switch back.

The glass is OK, it's the meter that's driving me nuts. Having been away from using an SLR for five years (been using digital point-and-shoots), I'm finding it a suprisingly steep learning curve.

Thanks for your input. I'll let you know about the 24 if I decide to sell it.

NEW Smugmug Site
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Another option comes to mind: Hang on to the Nikon glass & get an adapter to use it on your new Canon body.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Another option comes to mind: Hang on to the Nikon glass & get an adapter to use it on your new Canon body.
    Yeah, that would work well, if you don't mind manual focus.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    It's an interesting option; I had forgotten about that. Y E A R S ago I bought a Canon F-1 body and bought one of the Canon FD - Nikon AI lens adapters. I can't remember if I lost infinity focus or not. . . .

I would probably use it most with my 55mm f/2.8 micro, where I would miss the metering, AF, and auto aperature the least.

I guess I must weigh the difference in the price for an adapter to the price of a new/used EF 60mm f/2.8 macro.

Thanks for the suggestion(s) Chris and Ivar.

NEW Smugmug Site