Options

AOL endorsing & Smartmoney.com photo theft/copyright infringement

OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited November 24, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Preaching to the choir here I know, but found this info on Sports Shooter last night. With all the PR prolems AOL has had recently, I couldnt believe aol was endorseing or even suggesting this, photo theft or copyright infringement.

Discuss please

Heres what they said with a link

Parents' Gripe: Spending nearly $50 for a full package of individual, class and sport team photos -- multiple times per year!

Ever wonder why the school takes so many darned pictures? Turns out those adorable snap shots are often yet another fundraiser. Only this one pulls at the heart strings. We found one photo studio based in California that advertises on its web site that it's willing to pay schools a 10% commission on all orders.

Money-Saving Tips: Just buy the class picture. And don't even consider placing an order during the spring session, when many schools host a secondary picture day. If you just can't resist, purchase the smallest package possible. At the Clark School in Swampscott, Mass., parents can spend as little as $24 for a few wallet-size photos and one of the class. The bill rises to more than $50 if parents splurge for a package that includes a couple of 5-by-7s. Worried you won't have a spare to send to Grandma? Consider scanning your copy or email a cute digital shot you took yourself.

Link http://money.aol.com/top5/general/most-obnoxious-school-costs-2
Brad Fite :D
www.fitephotography.com
Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff

Comments

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Blows my mind!

I recently had a meeting with a Head Start committee chairperson about taking photos of the kids in 35 Head Start Classes. She sat right there and told me that she does exactly this with her kids school pictures. I asked her if she knew that was theft and copyright infringement and she nodded her head.

All I can say is put your logo on your pictures and hope for the best.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Wow, I can't believe they are promoting this.

So what if the studio kicks back to the school. Isn't this good for the school that YOUR CHILD is attending???
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    I sent them a nasty comment about this. We could blow up their mail servers if we all sent comments on it. (okay, maybe not blow them up, but at least they'll get the point they are in the wrong here)
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Jim, I read your thread concearning parents scanning your photos ect, that is bad enough but to have the largest Internet provider promote this aswell is horrible. Woder what they would say IF someone ws stealing from them? Hmmm thats right!

Also, if you go to that link, there is a link to e-mail them I did so lastnight and havent heard a word from them.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    I've already emailed from the link. No repsonse as of yet.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
  • Options
    fdpiechfdpiech Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2006
    AOL Says Copyright Infringment OK!
    http://money.aol.com/top5/general/most-obnoxious-school-costs-2

An customer have to ask why we as photographers have to charge so much for our services.

I'm off to write a REAL nastygram to the person who wrote this article...

I'd like to suggest everyone else out here do the same...
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    links are dead now
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    links are dead now

Not at SmartMoney.com, which is where AOL got their story.

http://www.smartmoney.com/top5/index.cfm?story=20061108

sbradford@smartmoney.com
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    Not at SmartMoney.com, which is where AOL got their story.

http://www.smartmoney.com/top5/index.cfm?story=20061108

sbradford@smartmoney.com
    my email sent....to everyone on the site's contact list
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Saw this over at FM the other day & many there (including myself) sent emails. Looks like AOL got the point--their link is now dead. Let's see if the originating site gets a clue.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    I sent mine to the editor

letters@smartmoney.com
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Top Annoying Reading Costs

* high-priced magazines: just find one friend who's bought a copy of one of these glossy goodies, SmartMoney for example, and photocopy the articles, making sure you don't copy the advertisements. Heck, go ahead and make a hundred copies and send them to everyone you know - that way they don't have to buy the magazine either.

next week's article, how to easily photocopy Stephen King doorstops and bind the copies nicely. Almost free, and they make great Christmas gifts too!

wings.gif
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I sent mine to the editor

letters@smartmoney.com

How about the General Manager
    bshaw@smartmoney.com
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    bshaw@smartmoney.com
    letters@smartmoney.com
    mdesenne@smartmoney.com
    pr@smartmoney.com
    rhennessey@smartmoney.com
    sauwerter@smartmoney.com
    sbradford@smartmoney.com

How can you have a writer tell your readers to just scan a copy of the picture. Pictures taken by a Professional Photographer are Protected By Federal Copyright Law. You should be ashamed for putting that in print. I call for the writer and the editor that approved the story suspend.

[URL="javascript:check(document.forms[1].elements[7])"][/URL]
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    very nice story eek7.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    StevenV wrote:

* high-priced magazines: just find one friend who's bought a copy of one of these glossy goodies, SmartMoney for example, and photocopy the articles, making sure you don't copy the advertisements. Heck, go ahead and make a hundred copies and send them to everyone you know - that way they don't have to buy the magazine either.

next week's article, how to easily photocopy Stephen King doorstops and bind the copies nicely. Almost free, and they make great Christmas gifts too!

wings.gif
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    StevenV wrote:

wings.gif

Save money on copying and just scan it, create a pdf and distribute and let the people who you give it to print it out if they want a hard copy.

Next week: 101 other ways to save money and break copyright laws!
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    the story is still up. Obviously we don't count. $$ makes the world go round. Anyone receive a reply to their email?....no, surprise surprise.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    next week's article, how to easily photocopy Stephen King doorstops and bind the copies nicely. Almost free, and they make great Christmas gifts too! wings.gif
    Almost free!!!!!! No I want free. Thats why your employer has copy machines..Right?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    I sent this:

Stacey,

Perhaps you're not in the "know" in regards to intellectual property right law but your article is a blatant endorsement for the theft of the photographers property. How would you feel if I copied your article and made a few minor changes and then sold it to another source as my own? I'd wager you'd try to stop it. Is plagiarism in the literary realm any different than the same act in photography?

C.C.'d to all emails on the smart money site as well as to the BBB
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2006
    Instead of sending mails which no one will ever respond to, what don't you contact a prosecutor?

I'm sure he's got some convincing arguments :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    Instead of sending mails which no one will ever respond to, what don't you contact a prosecutor?
    Send me $10,000 usd and I will. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Send me $10,000 usd and I will. rolleyes1.gif

…you cannot just inform about the fault? It wouldn't be in your own name…