Options

Flood Damage at Mount Rainier

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited November 20, 2006 in The Big Picture
One of my favorite locations for photography is Mount Rainier. Unfortunately there won’t be any photography at the mountain again anytime soon. This month the Pacific Northwest received a record amount of rain, only half way through November and we’ve already set the all time record for rain for this month (as measured at Seattle Tacoma International airport).

All this rain caused a ton of damage to Mount Rainier (and throughout the Pacific Northwest), and for the first time since World War II, Mount Rainier National Park is closed indefinitely. One campsite was completely wiped off the map by flood waters!

I just wanted to share with you all the pictures from the National Park Service web site of all of the damage…

http://www.nps.gov/mora/parknews/images-of-the-flood-of-2006.htm?eid=136985&root_aId=223#e_136985
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Wow, that's incredible. I'm sure the winter isn't going to make it any easier to get everything fixed up. I guess the Mountain wanted some privacy...
    Chris
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    One of my favorite locations for photography is Mount Rainier. Unfortunately there won’t be any photography at the mountain again anytime soon. This month the Pacific Northwest received a record amount of rain, only half way through November and we’ve already set the all time record for rain for this month (as measured at Seattle Tacoma International airport).

All this rain caused a ton of damage to Mount Rainier (and throughout the Pacific Northwest), and for the first time since World War II, Mount Rainier National Park is closed indefinitely. One campsite was completely wiped off the map by flood waters!

I just wanted to share with you all the pictures from the National Park Service web site of all of the damage…

http://www.nps.gov/mora/parknews/images-of-the-flood-of-2006.htm?eid=136985&root_aId=223#e_136985

Ouch some nasty damage there....... fast moving waters are not match for any roads or bridges are they.

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Ouch some nasty damage there....... fast moving waters are not match for any roads or bridges are they.

Skippy (Australia)

One poor guy from Florida was visiting nearby Olympic National Park, and had all the roads into and out of his location wash out. They rescued him by helicopter but his rental car is still stuck, and they tell him it may be a year or more before the roads to his rental car are repaired, meanwhile the rental company keeps charging him $28 a day.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    One poor guy from Florida was visiting nearby Olympic National Park, and had all the roads into and out of his location wash out. They rescued him by helicopter but his rental car is still stuck, and they tell him it may be a year or more before the roads to his rental car are repaired, meanwhile the rental company keeps charging him $28 a day.

thats why you buy the optional insurance.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    greenpea wrote:

:wow Sucks to be him. That is indeed why you buy the insurance.