Options

shhh...and mind where you put your foot please

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 30, 2004 in Landscapes
Was keen to try some B&W so i got fishes 'photomatic' filters (ta mate) & headed off on xmas hols. Got cabin fever in the 1st hour of being in my parents house & went looking for stuff to shoot that will allow a good dollop of B&W.

I really have to learn to slow down & frame...i make this same mistake over & over again..

13311826-M.jpg

Pretty well made a mess of this with 'over cooking' the filters ie couldnt stop fooling with it.

13311827-M.jpg

13311829-M.jpg

13311832-M.jpg

13311833-M.jpg

This was all done at midday in very bright sun...i would really like to see what the afternoon could produce shadow wise

13311839-M.jpg

13311840-M.jpg

13311842-M.jpg

13311845-M.jpg

13311841-M.jpg

13312797-M.jpg

13312800-M.jpg

13312801-M.jpg

13312813-M.jpg

13312794-M.jpg

13312795-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    Last one...got 2 diff cards in the camera at once that i keep forgeting about:bash

13314271-M.jpg
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    Fascinating set Gus! I don't know technically but viewed together really has impact! thumb.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    Love, love cemetary shots Gus. These are wonderful. Love the angles and the macro's you did here.
    I have the same problem: shooting and then afterwards think about framing... My teacher in college told me that I was usually to quick. I have gone better over time, but still make that mistake...
    Is this a family cemetary? Must be a lovely spot if you found all those treasures there. I find it hard to take good pics of stone carvings.
    Great job you did. Love this whole serie...]
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    Thankyou both...pc ..my grandmother is there. She died when my mother was a child so i never knew her.

I was totally alone there for 3 hours except for 3 hares. With graves going back to the mid 1800's it was a fascinating place to wander through with a camera.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Thankyou both...pc ..my grandmother is there. She died when my mother was a child so i never knew her.

I was totally alone there for 3 hours except for 3 hares. With graves going back to the mid 1800's it was a fascinating place to wander through with a camera.

UK is a great place for cemetaries. One of these days I want to go back to Bradford old cemetary to try out the D70.
    In England, lots of the little cemetaries have graves going back to 1700.
    Lots of children... it always breaks my heart.

You are in Australia aren't you?
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    UK is a great place for cemetaries. One of these days I want to go back to Bradford old cemetary to try out the D70.
    In England, lots of the little cemetaries have graves going back to 1700.
    Lots of children... it always breaks my heart.

You are in Australia aren't you?
    Yep..in 0z. This area wasnt settled until 1842 & was called drayton (a comon english name) I saw lots of kids graves..one killed by a headstone falling of all things whilst in the cemetry. People died very young back then. My grandmother died when mum was 13 leaving her to raise 7 children in a house full of mad fighting irish alcholics....she is a tough woman.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    tough
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep..in 0z. This area wasnt settled until 1842 & was called drayton (a comon english name) I saw lots of kids graves..one killed by a headstone falling of all things whilst in the cemetry. People died very young back then. My grandmother died when mum was 13 leaving her to raise 7 children in a house full of mad fighting irish alcholics....she is a tough woman.

Being Tough was probably the only option for her to survive. Sad story...
    A child needs to be a grown up way too early. Life can be very unfair. My respect is there for your mom who did it.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Last one...got 2 diff cards in the camera at once that i keep forgeting about:bash

13314271-M.jpg

Very interesting series 'gus. Cemetaries have always been an interesting photographic subject for me also. I like the choice of B&W - just seems right. Your B&W conversions tend toward the high contrast and I like that also. The last frame was very contrasty. The close ups of the cherubs and statues are timeless.
    There is a cemetary down the road from my house with graves from the 1820's which is just about when Indiana became a state. Reminds me of an epitaph I read in William Least Heat-Moon's book "Blue Highways"

"As you are now, so once was I.
    As I am now, so you shall be!
    Prepare for death,
    And follow me!"

You said you spent three hours in the cemetary, 'gus - I think previous generations, before radio and TV, had far more time for serious introspection than most of us spend today. I suspect your time shooting was spent in thoughful respect for your ancestors.

Live long and prosper 'gus, but smell a few rosebuds along the way
    1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    Tks PF...it is a place where you can walk in silence & look at what you see (if that make sense)

I read many interesting things on headstones...one chap even from a whaling background but i messed the shot up. I really had to lift the contrast right up as they were all midday shots & in summer here...well its just damn bright so no interesting colours.

Tks for looking
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    Very interesing set. I love the contrasty b&w. Interesting angles and compositions.

How's this for an epitaph: " I told you I was sick!"
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Very interesing set. I love the contrasty b&w. Interesting angles and compositions.

How's this for an epitaph: " I told you I was sick!"

hah! Cruel but very funny... You are terrible Thomas... rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    Tks thomas...interesting place to shoot.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    Gus
    Very nice work Gus.
    I have always loved these type of photos.

10185101-M.jpg

2408571-S.jpg
    6584331-S.jpg

Thanks
    Fred