I need a beating please ...

NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited November 17, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
My goal? To win Photo Challenge 78, "Silhouette". My hopefuly entry? As follows:

110812768-L.jpg

EXIF

It is untouched, and it could be reshot next week. It's taken at my church youth group during one of our worship services.

Thanks a million! I invite you to be harsh, and even to do your own edits if you feel so inclined.
Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...

Comments

• justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    I'd straighten it and crop the bottom. Other then that, not bad and the colors are pretty.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    It is a silhouette but there is nothing about the attitude of the figures that conveys any message; they're just in silhouette.

This could be a school assembly or any gathering, the image converys no meaning.

Sorry.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Don't really feel silhouette when I look at this shot.

Silhouette's are also soft (OOF). Now there is merit in having a soft silhouette shot, just not in this kind of shot. These kinds of shots are really tricky for cameras to read (at least the ones I've used), you will probably need to go into MF to pull a sharp shot out of this composition.

Looks like some kind of mini event. Hope you have another one before the deadline.

I'd also dump the lights on the top and right of the shot. It's pretty distracting to me.

Just my .02

Good luck on the challenge no matter what.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Whipping Post isn't the place for the kind of feedback you're looking for, NewC.

This is the place you post your very best stuff, hoping to improve.

You should put this in the Challenge forum.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Whipping Post isn't the place for the kind of feedback you're looking for, NewC.

Good point, Sid.

Moved.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Good start, but you could reshoot to tighten it up a bit and make better. good luck!
  • NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Sadly this is my very best stuff, and I am hoping to improve. "This forum is for critique and evaluation of images."

I disagree with the move, but hey - I'm not the moderator.
    Sadly this is my very best stuff, and I am hoping to improve. "This forum is for critique and evaluation of images."

I disagree with the move, but hey - I'm not the moderator.

It wasn't a judgement of your work, but really it was what you were asking...at least the way your request sounded, this was the best place for your shot. You get the difference? The way you intro'd your shot it sounded like a work in progress, a shot you were not sure of yourself. If you had posted that this was your best work ever, and you wanted to know what we think, I would never have moved it. It's not what I think is your best work that matters, but what YOU think is your best work.

Hope that makes sense.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    It wasn't a judgement of your work, but really it was what you were asking...at least the way your request sounded, this was the best place for your shot. You get the difference? The way you intro'd your shot it sounded like a work in progress, a shot you were not sure of yourself. If you had posted that this was your best work ever, and you wanted to know what we think, I would never have moved it. It's not what I think is your best work that matters, but what YOU think is your best work.

Hope that makes sense.

It makes sense :). Ultimately I just want to learn how to take photos better, so wherever I need to post to get that input is the place I will be clap.gif.