Going crazy!!! Color Varience in print preview (CS2)

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited November 19, 2006 in Finishing School
This issue is making me crazy! It happened some time ago and I fixed it, but can't rmember how and now it is happening again.

When I look at images in PhotoShop they look fine. When I select print with preview the sky shows up with much more of a purple cast in the preview box. This is the way that they actually print (with the more purple cast). I don't have a monitor issue per se. Printing acurately matches the preview , not a problem there.

The problem is between the workspace? and the preview? Anyway, that's my guess. I have now read so many tutorials and changed settings that it is making me crazy. I just want what is on the screen to be what I see on the preview (I am looking at both proofed and on proofed views in PS)

If you have had this problem and you fixed it, or don't have it please let me know the proper settings.

Obviously, I can adjust the PS image before printing to get the preview where I want it, but this shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks and regards,

Gary

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Print with Preview is not color-managed. Do not rely on it for color previewing. Use it for paper size/position previewing only. Your most accurate color preview for printing is still soft-proofing (Proof Colors command) to a profile of your paper/ink combo, assuming your monitor is calibrated.
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    Print with Preview is not color-managed. Do not rely on it for color previewing. Use it for paper size/position previewing only. Your most accurate color preview for printing is still soft-proofing (Proof Colors command) to a profile of your paper/ink combo, assuming your monitor is calibrated.

I just looked at the image in ImageReady and see that the preview is as you are saying "uncompensated color". Does that mean that the problem is from printing from print with preiview itself?

Gary
    edited November 17, 2006
    No, there is no problem printing from Print with Preview. I do it all the time. All I'm saying is that the little preview box is uncompensated, but that doesn't affect the color data going to the printer. Photoshop is going to print color from the main document, not according to the Print with Preview box.

I soft-proof in the main window and don't print until I think the color is as close as I can get it on the screen. Then I go into Print with Preview and make sure I got the size and position right, ignoring the color display because I already dealt with that part, and print from there.
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Not sure what printer your using but are you letting Photoshop manage the print or the print driver manage the print?

Some times if you let photoshop color manage the print but do not turn off color manage in the printer print driver it gets managed twice and will cause color shifts.

check blackpoint compensation and render intent too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com
    edited November 17, 2006
    Carbon Based brings up a good point that makes me add to my last post. While the color in the little preview image doesn't affect printing one bit, the other color options in Print with Preview - the Color Management ones at the bottom of the dialog box when you click the More Options button - those can totally affect color quality.
    edited November 17, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    Carbon Based brings up a good point that makes me add to my last post. While the color in the little preview image doesn't affect printing one bit, the other color options in Print with Preview - the Color Management ones at the bottom of the dialog box when you click the More Options button - those can totally affect color quality.

I think I've got all this. What I'm saying is that what I see in the preview is what is being printed. I have color management off, Photoshop to determine the colors and a selected paper profile. But, the sky ends up looking more like the preview (more red) than what I see I the PS work area. Maybe I need to calibrate the monitor.

Regards,

Gary
    edited November 18, 2006
    gpgold wrote:
    I think I've got all this. What I'm saying is that what I see in the preview is what is being printed. I have color management off, Photoshop to determine the colors and a selected paper profile. But, the sky ends up looking more like the preview (more red) than what I see I the PS work area. Maybe I need to calibrate the monitor.

Regards,

Gary

How does your print compare to the "soft proof" view of the image?
    edited November 18, 2006
    How does your print compare to the "soft proof" view of the image?

The cast of the sky has been more lavender.

Gary
    edited November 18, 2006
    gpgold wrote:
    Maybe I need to calibrate the monitor.

Regards,

Gary

You need to have a properly color managed system. Monitor calibration is a must.
    edited November 18, 2006
    You need to have a properly color managed system. Monitor calibration is a must.

That was the thought that was coming to me. This will be a new area to learn about. I'll do some research here. But, I'd also like any recommendations. I'm an amateur so I'm unsure about what I'll need, or how far this needs to go.

regards,

Gary
    edited November 19, 2006
    gpgold wrote:
    That was the thought that was coming to me. This will be a new area to learn about. I'll do some research here. But, I'd also like any recommendations. I'm an amateur so I'm unsure about what I'll need, or how far this needs to go.

regards,

Gary

Color managment isn't too arcane, great resources on the web, start reading. Here's a couple of places to start.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_management.htm

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/und-print-mgmt.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/soft-proofing.shtml