Practicing.....

Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
edited November 19, 2006 in People
Trying to learn and better myself with flash. My wife will only tolerate a few shots a night so here is what I came up with tonight. Having troubles getting the hang of it.

Well C&C can only help me...so let me know if it sucks.....

111047471-L.jpg
www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    You've got a severe blue cast happening. :)
  • Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    You've got a severe blue cast happening. :)

Well I put a blue gel on my flash for the background. The background is was white. And the blue light spilled into her hair and stuff.

Tim

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Hmm, I don't know studio lighting at all, but if you're getting too much light from your background onto her, can you move her further away? Seems to me I've heard that before.

As for cropping, I'd crop a bit from the bottom and the left - not a ton, just a little. She's smack dab in the center and this should follow the rule of thirds a bit more.

I like the lighting, but don't love it. I personally think it's a bit harsh. Can the lighting be moved further away to fall more softly?

Not a lot of help, but hopefully some! Pretty lady! She needs to pose for you more often....:D
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Well I put a blue gel on my flash for the background. The background is was white. And the blue light spilled into her hair and stuff.

Tim
    You can still color correct. Reducing the blue, increasing the yellow brings the flesh tones back to where they should be.

I'd also crop it while you're at it. Lots of unused space at the top!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 18, 2006
    Blue cast with magenta skin tones -Tim's that is, not Owen's...

I selected the background by color select and excluded it, then some curves in blue and green to add yellow and cut magenta. Better, worse or stay outa my back yard!!??

I think she needed a litle bit of a reflector to light the right side of her face also - just a bit more. I like the shadow, but it hides too much detail.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    Thanks for the revisions guys. I will try your suggestions.
    thumb.gif

Tim