Alecsa, revisiting old shots from home

OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
edited November 18, 2006 in People
alecsa1.jpg
Canon 20D, 24-70 @ 50mm, f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 100

Revisiting shots from my last shoot at home.

Owen

Comments

• AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    nice light & pose, but I do mind the crop on her hands, as a matter of fact. ;)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 18, 2006
    pretty girl and very neat photo-

no offense to antoined, but my guess you wouldn't have to crop the hands because you have all of her in the shot-

but you want to show her face and also the pose she's in-
    edited November 18, 2006
    Well, in fact, I feel this crop like a curious "in-between". :)

It disturbs "me" because this is the first thing I've noticed on this portrait. I don't think this was meant to be.

But you're right: the way he caught her face is very nice, though thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Very nice shot, Owen. The lighting is beautiful and I really like her pose. Although I think hands would be very graceful in this particular pose, it doesn't really bother me because parts of her body are cropped out in more than one location on both sides of the frame. In fact, I didn't even notice it until reading Antoine's comment. What caught my attention and eventually distracted me from even seeing the crop was the bottom catchlights in her gorgeous eyes. They bother me somewhat. All in all, it's a great shot! :saurora
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    I have come in to look at this shot several times to decide what I think of it. The lighting is gorgeous, I love the odd catchlights in her eyes, the mood is interesting.

But her body and pose are very abstract to me.

I see all limbs and body and find myself trying to figure out what pose she's in and wonder if she is the most limber person I've ever seen or if it's just normal. Laughing.gif! One minute I like the abstractness of it and don't mind the cropped hand (the top bothers me slightly, the bottom doesn't, but would if the whole top hand were seen because you'd only be cropping a little of the bottom hand - make sense?). The next I want to see more of her pose to make sense of it. And I'm completely distracted from her face, which is the focus of the image to me.

Not sure if any of that makes a ton of sense. One minute I really like this shot and the next it disturbs me. And that ambiguity is kind of interesting. Take from that what you will! :D
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    I have come in to look at this shot several times to decide what I think of it. The lighting is gorgeous, I love the odd catchlights in her eyes, the mood is interesting.

[...]

Not sure if any of that makes a ton of sense. One minute I really like this shot and the next it disturbs me. And that ambiguity is kind of interesting. Take from that what you will! :D

I'm glad it makes you think! That is a huge compliment - thanks for looking and taking the time to write.
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Owen,

That's a wonderful portrait, beautiful light, nicely done.

I tried a different crop to simplify, then lessened the big bottom catchlight in one eye (quick job) because the double catchlight bothers me a little. I curved the exposure down 'cause it looked a little hot on my monitor. Then I darkened the bottom to draw more attention to the face. But this is nitpicking stuff. The lovely portrait was already there. Congrats. thumb.gif

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
    edited November 18, 2006
    I like the double catchlight, I think it adds some of that magical "twinkle."

I do like your crop, though there wouldn't be enough resolution to print it as I'd like at 9x12.

Owen
    edited November 18, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    I like the double catchlight, I think it adds some of that magical "twinkle."

Indeed, it often does in fashion photography but there, the right one looks more like an "accident", as it'd blow the eye. Too bad, for the left one's very okay to me thumb.gif

I do like the crop, too. Guess you'll have to re-shoot so you've got the resolution you want :p
    edited November 18, 2006
    I do have a similar upclose portrait, but her face isn't quite right. ne_nau.gif

Owen