had to switch crumpler bags

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 9, 2005 in Accessories
I was using the shrinkle - great bag, but when I switched from 20d to 1Ds Mark II it wasn't large enough.

I just got the "Farmer's Double" by Crumpler, very roomy yet not obese. It easily holds my camera and lenses, plus my laptop, with room for papers, accessories, personal stuff, and even a standard size hardcover novel.

I can't say enough about Crumpler, love the quality of construction and more importantly, the bag, even fully loaded, feels as light as air when on my back. and for this photographer, who's had back surgery, that's an important factor.

Loads more info via google - or you can try crumpler usa's website

Comments

• blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i was using the shrinkle - great bag, but when i switched from 20d to 1Ds Mark II it wasn't large enough.

just got the "farmer's double" by crumpler, very roomy yet not obese. it easily holds my camera and lenses, plus my vaio laptop, with room for papers, accessories, personal stuff, and even a standard size hardcover novel.

i can't say enough about crumpler, love the quality of construction and more importantly, the bag, even fully loaded, feels as light as air when on my back. and for this photographer, who's had back surgery, that's an important factor.

loads more info via google - or you can try crumpler usa's website
    I use lowepro's Mini-trekker. It holds my DR, all my lens, and now my newly added (today) Sigma super 500 flash. Plus its All-Weather so never have to worry about it leaking, getting sand, dust, etc in it.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    I use lowepro's Mini-trekker. It holds my DR, all my lens, and now my newly added (today) Sigma super 500 flash. Plus its All-Weather so never have to worry about it leaking, getting sand, dust, etc in it.

yup - good bag. i used one for about six months before switching to crumpler. bags are so personal - i went thru 3 before the lowepro, then found the crumplers and haven't looked back...
    edited December 28, 2004
    forgot to add:
    i sell my gently used bags on fm for roughtly 80% of what i pay for them.

unlike my wife and indeed *most* women, i don't feel the need to hang on to every bag i've owned since i was 18.

/flame suit on lol3.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    Old bath towel on the bottom of the top box on the bike :cry
    edited December 28, 2004
    yes, well, 'gus:
    Humungus wrote:
    Old bath towel on the bottom of the top box on the bike :cry

that works for now, but once you go dslr, loads of glass, that won't work. 'course, you *may* not even have the bike at that point, either lol3.gif
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    I totally agree with Andy here. I own two bags, one backpack and one sling style bag.

I've had 4 serious back surgeries, and the backpack has never given me any problems that I've had with others. Its amazing how light it feels even when completely loaded with gear.

The construction is second to none. These bags are designed to last forever.

Dave
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    that works for now, but once you go dslr, loads of glass, that won't work. 'course, you *may* not even have the bike at that point, either lol3.gif
    blasphemy!!! bike will always come first!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i was using the shrinkle - great bag, but when i switched from 20d to 1Ds Mark II it wasn't large enough.

just got the "farmer's double" by crumpler, very roomy yet not obese. it easily holds my camera and lenses, plus my vaio laptop, with room for papers, accessories, personal stuff, and even a standard size hardcover novel.

i can't say enough about crumpler, love the quality of construction and more importantly, the bag, even fully loaded, feels as light as air when on my back. and for this photographer, who's had back surgery, that's an important factor.

loads more info via google - or you can try crumpler usa's website
    I love my shrinkle, but can see how the big cam would fill it up. So you say the farmer's double isn't so bad??? My only complaint with the shrinkle is that when the camera and powerbook go in, there's no room for anything else really.

What am I talking about, I can't get a new bag!!!
    Erik

edited December 28, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I love my shrinkle, but can see how the big cam would fill it up. So you say the farmer's double isn't so bad??? My only complaint with the shrinkle is that when the camera and powerbook go in, there's no room for anything else really.

What am I talking about, I can't get a new bag!!!

the inside compartment has room for a giant laptop, loads of papers, a big tele (e.g. 70-200L :D) and more. i like the roominess.

i had the same prob with the shrinkle. it's designed for a laptop + photogear, but with the laptop in that sleeve thing, the bag was really really jammed!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah...what's this "sell the bike" thing? Like THAT will ever happen...
    I might have to sell one of fish's but not mine :D

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 28, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    But i have 3 bikes mate......
    edited December 28, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    But i have 3 bikes mate......

good lord - what do you do with three?

i'm wanting a little vespa - and i'd get one if there was a place near grand central i could stash it :D
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:

i'm wanting a little vespa - and i'd get one if there was a place near grand central i could stash it :D
    errr...andy...

Ive had 24 bikes. You think glass is addictive...
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:

That is only one bike every other day with Sunday off, Andy! Makes sense to me!

What could possibly be wrong with that? How many cameras do you have? Did you really count all of them?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    That is only one bike every other day with Sunday off, Andy! Makes sense to me!

What could possibly be wrong with that? How many cameras do you have? Did you really count all of them?

honestly and truly at this moment i have two.

the 1Ds Mark II and a 1960s-era voigtlander rangefinder. :D
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:

I want a Vespa too!

My car comes off lease Feb 7th, and I'm going to give it back. Living in the city, my gf & I do not need 2 vehicles. I think a vespa would be perfect for us :D

There is a huge vespa club here. These things are a very popular item, unfortunately it drives the prices up.

Dave
    edited December 28, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I want a Vespa too!

My car comes off lease Feb 7th, and I'm going to give it back. Living in the city, my gf & I do not need 2 vehicles. I think a vespa would be perfect for us :D

There is a huge vespa club here. These things are a very popular item, unfortunately it drives the prices up.

Dave

crumpler + vespa = way cool

now, if we could just work on all that nikon gear you have .... :D
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    Dont say it fish...............
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    I don't like my bag to feel cramped.......room, I crave room. Reading all the dPreview stuff last year, I went at least one size bigger. A Tamron, I looked up the Andy bags, and I thought that Tamron was expensive.

No one has mentioned the amt of weight a flashlight adds.

I couldn't sell my purses for over a quarter when I am through. I have the feeling it is going to be like that with this bag. I am shooting, batteries, manuals, etc, they get put in any which way. There is some elastic to stretch.

On this lens mania, I think I posted somewhere else here that I figured out to use just that one "dot" to focus my long lens on. I have been taking squirrel photos, too. In addition to cardinals and such. By doing that thing to my camera, it was like getting a new lens: the bird's eyes are in focus, I think.

Now if I can just get back to photoshop, download, and check it out for sure.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:

now, if we could just work on all that nikon gear you have .... :D

I'm definitely diggin' the big city life. When I talk to my friends back home about my Vespa idea they just laugh!

Dave
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i sell my gently used bags on fm for roughtly 80% of what i pay for them.

unlike my wife and indeed *most* women, i don't feel the need to hang on to every bag i've owned since i was 18.

/flame suit on lol3.gif
    Humph....
    edited December 28, 2004
    really lynn?
    lynnma wrote:
    Humph....

and just how many pairs of shoes do you have in that closet of yours? hmm? lol3.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    On this lens mania, I think I posted somewhere else here that I figured out to use just that one "dot" to focus my long lens on. I have been taking squirrel photos, too. In addition to cardinals and such. By doing that thing to my camera, it was like getting a new lens: the bird's eyes are in focus, I think.

Now if I can just get back to photoshop, download, and check it out for sure.

g

Ginger - I suggested a long time ago that the 10D, and the Digital Rebel too, suffer in AF at times - I definitely prefer to use the center AF point and then recompose in the view finder. I also feel that the "Creative Zone" Av, Tv, P get better results than the cute little basic zones of portrait, macro, landscape, because the shooter can control the ISO and the AF points. Sounds like you discovered what I have been saying all along.

In a long pdf published by Canon regarding the 1 series cameras, Canon specificlly recs choosing an AF point and NOT recomposing to help get better exposures.. But the AF on the 10D and the Digital Rebel need the help of the center AF point when the light gets low. The pdf can be found here http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/tech_tips/index.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    I've been using my Lowepro Stealth Reporter 300 bag to carry my gear. After a few hours it's too much for my arm to carry, and it's just three smaller lens and a Canon EOS 3 with booster. I'm going to check out some of these other bags and hoping they are lighter and easier on my back. :)

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    In a long pdf published by Canon regarding the 1 series cameras, Canon specificlly recs choosing an AF point and NOT recomposing to help get better exposures.. But the AF on the 10D and the Digital Rebel need the help of the center AF point when the light gets low. The pdf can be found here http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/tech_tips/index.html
    Thanks for the pointer!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 29, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    errr...andy...

Ive had 24 bikes. You think glass is addictive...
    Seriously! :D

Ah, and now we know you're weakness. Each time you tease me with glass, I'm going to send you another Vespa glamour shot!
    Erik

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    Andy, thanks for posting this. I've gone through half a dozen or more bags in the last six months. For a long time I favored a backpack.

But I'm now much happier with a top loading bag - it's easier to get stuff in and out of. But it isn't as easy to tote as a backpack. Right now I'm using an old Lowepro that they don't make anymore, something like this. Love the access and portability. Fits in the bike and is perfect carry-on luggage.

It takes one pro body and up to three lenses. A tight squeeze will fit the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 9, 2005
    I assume the Farmer's Double doesn't have padded dividers to separate lenses and bodies. So how do you pack them safely?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited January 9, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I assume the Farmer's Double doesn't have padded dividers to separate lenses and bodies. So how do you pack them safely?

Here is a good site put together by a good old Nikon user :D

http://www.asvd07.dsl.pipex.com/d70bags.htm

It gives you an idea what a bag can hold.

Dave
    edited January 9, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Here is a good site put together by a good old Nikon user :D

http://www.asvd07.dsl.pipex.com/d70bags.htm

It gives you an idea what a bag can hold.

Dave
    Good link, thanks. It doesn't really show what the top pocket can hold, the part that doesn't hold the laptop and papers.
    Sid.