Need some quick advice for PS pls guys (should be easy)

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited November 19, 2006 in Finishing School

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    well should be easy for you lot anyway. Someone asked me this the other day & i have never ever even looked there.

In CS2 you go to the top line..select VIEW...PROOF SETUP. Now for some reason mine was set in WORKING CMYK. I changed it to WINDOWS RGB as i assume it should be on my windows machine.

Did i do the right thing ? ...or is there something i should know ?
    Gus, that's for proofing for print. Like here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1123524
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    edited November 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Mate we can end this very quickly ...im about to process over 1000 shots & no way am i doing them again.

1/ Which do i choose ?
    2/ Do i save as baseline standard or progressive ?
    Now this a different question. Save them as JPG 10, baseline standard.
    edited November 18, 2006
    edited November 18, 2006
    edited November 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Bump..sorry mate but im really stuck here atm as to what to use. Im not interested in any custom stuff just what to leave this 'proof set-up' as.

Working CMYK

or

Windows RGB
    Are you printing these files? If not, don't worry about that. Just keep your working space in sRGB and you'll be fine deal.gif
    edited November 18, 2006
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Mate can you go collect an animal skin & 6 rocks...sit down outside the cave ....& get down to my level. sRGB is in the camera i assumed ?

They are for a customer to print from (very important to me & them as they are going to a printer in a day or 2).

Ive googled till my fingers are bleeding & no-where can give me a def answer as to what to set the 'Proof Set-up' at in CS2.

Working CMYK or Windows RGB

I'm guessing you are giving your customer JPG files. If so, you just need to make sure that the profile is sRGB and don't worry about the rest. If not, tell us what you are giving your customer.
    edited November 18, 2006
    edited November 18, 2006
    Gus: DO NOT WORRY about the proof setup. deal.gif Leave it alone.
    edited November 18, 2006
    edited November 18, 2006
    gus wrote:

AT WHAT SETTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gus, seriously, just ignore it? It's for proofing (seeing on your screen what a print might look like). Just close that menu, and move on to your processing :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Tks RS but i have a lot of difficulty understanding what you are saying. Where is sRGB coming into it ? When you say sRGB ..do you mean windows RGB ?

Basically here is how its currently set...ok to leave it there or do i move the tick down to windows RGB ?

Windows RGB is the same as sRGB. But what are you giving the customer? I don't understand why you are worried about the proof setting at all.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    AT WHAT SETTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg !!

I gotta get onto this decaf crap.
    I think they are saying it does not matter.....i think.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    I am with Gus on this!!!!!!!

There are several places that issue comes up on CS2.

I worry about it when I am going to print a calendar.

I worry about it no matter what, because what I worry about is getting a color too saturated or something that won't print right.

So,

1) to send prints to smugmug for printing...............which setting?

2) To send prints to LULU or other people...................at any place should we do CMYK which as I understand it USED to be very important in printing.

My question would be is it important in printing anywhere now........and what should Gus set that on?????

ginger (same pain as Gus has!! Glad he asked, smile)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited November 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Gus, seriously, just ignore it? It's for proofing (seeing on your screen what a print might look like). Just close that menu, and move on to your processing :D

Yes, Andy. I have used it like that. I discovered that CMYK showed me that everything needed changing, was too saturated, etc. While RGB was more forgiving, so I put it on RGB.................and I worried.

It came up as a question I didn't ask every time I did a calendar. I know smugmug loves RGB, so I don't worry about them as much.

But for this exhibit, I can see a worry approaching. I would like to know, too.

I only turn it on to check a photo to make sure it is printable. Now which one should it be on???

ginger, please....
    edited November 18, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    So,

1) to send prints to smugmug for printing...............which setting?
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1123524
    edited November 18, 2006
    edited November 18, 2006
    Thanks, Andy!

Gus, you know too much, I don't understand exactly what you said, but then I don't need to. It was the gamut thing I was concerned about.

By the way, my calendars came out fine however I did it last year.

Not doing one this year: money. But it was cool last year. The year before

I did have a gamut problem and it was with green. Saturated darkish green, watch that color, I do now. It tends to not print as well as some, but all of mine printed fine last year. Lots of green, but not too saturated.

ginger (hope I didn't add to the confusion.)
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes, Andy. I have used it like that. I discovered that CMYK showed me that everything needed changing, was too saturated, etc. While RGB was more forgiving, so I put it on RGB.................and I worried.
    ginger_55 wrote:

I think CYMK is used by big printers in magazine, and for other high volumn printing needs. Color conversion from other color spaces too CYMK seems to by like trying to mate an elephant with a mouse. I have heard this can be done, but you need an extra large mouse and a diminutive elephant, but then again what the heck do I know about zoology?

It came up as a question I didn't ask every time I did a calendar. I know smugmug loves RGB, so I don't worry about them as much.

But for this exhibit, I can see a worry approaching. I would like to know, too.

Ginger………What ever printing you have done for this gallery show, please, please, do as many test prints as you need to do to satisfy yourself you have a consistent internal workflow, know how to prepare, send the files, and are getting the print results you want. Do not just send them all off and hope the come out well!

I only turn it on to check a photo to make sure it is printable. Now which one should it be on???

ginger, please....
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    If not all then most printers are CMYK.

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK

That is one thing that drives the multicolor inkjets, to more and better inks in one printer.

But andy is right it doesn't matter it's just used for "proofing" pre-print using an profile for the paper/printer combination. You don't work in it at all. Leave it checked for CMYK and forget about it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com
    edited November 19, 2006
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Mate can you go collect an animal skin & 6 rocks...sit down outside the cave ....& get down to my level.

Gus, I really wish we had a Gus Random Quote Generator. That one's hilarious.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Yeah i was under the impression that it made a difference as to how the photo got saved but i now know that that decision is made in Mode.

Yeah, proof colors is more like "if you were to save this in CMYK, this is pretty close to how it might look."
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Mate can you go collect an animal skin & 6 rocks...sit down outside the cave ....& get down to my level.

Working CMYK or Windows RGB

First of all my I borrow your quote from time to time....I love it.

and the CMYK is for printers (normally those huge OFFSET printers) that need you to send them your files separated into the 4 colors of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website