Thinking of a battery grip already...

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited November 20, 2006 in Cameras
I don't even have my new XTi yet...Still waiting on UPS to deliver it, yet I'm thinking about a battery grip. With my p&s digi's, I've always had extra batteries bought on the cheap from E-Bay.

How many of you guys have battery grips for your cameras? I don't think I'll mind the extra weight and bulk. I've seen discussions where I can get one for I think $60 or so?

What do you guys think?

*Mods--didn't know if this should be here or in accessories--feel free to move it if you want.*
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 18, 2006
    I have a vertical grip for the XT and it makes a considerable difference in holding the camera. It also helps move the battery (or batteries) away from the inside of the camera, which may help reduce heat buildup in the camera. The extra shutter release is also handy.

There is a slight extra play when the camera is mounted on a tripod, but nothing to worry about and mostly due to the mechanical disadvantage of the extra height of the grip. Batteries changes are easier with the grip when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Not having to worry about running out of battery power was the biggest advantage, and worth the price of admission alone, IMHO.

I also have a vertical grip for my Minolta A2 digicam. It also has most of the advantages that the XT grip provides, and I'll bet my positive experience with it affected my decision to purchase the XT grip.

Discussion here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33461

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    Thanks, Ziggy.

That's actually the post I was referring to. I'm gonna order it today.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    I had my 20D for exactly one evening before ordering the grip. The extra battery is just a side benefit--I needed it for the improved ergonomics (body is too short for my big paws) and secondary controls. It also helps to balance larger/heavier lenses.
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    I had my 20D for exactly one evening before ordering the grip. The extra battery is just a side benefit--I needed it for the improved ergonomics (body is too short for my big paws) and secondary controls. It also helps to balance larger/heavier lenses.

Ordered it yesterday. I probably won't even use my camera (which still hasn't arrived) until it gets here.
    Semper fi,
    Brad