May I please have some help with color?

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited November 20, 2006 in People
I have been looking at these photos for way too long and I need help figuring out what's wrong with the color. As a side note, I'm using Lightroom to edit color/contrast.

Oh, and if they order the shot, I'll remove the snot from his nose! LOL! I did a dumb thing - edited it out of the B&W version instead of the color one. Now I am having to do it to both. :doh Still getting my flow down with Lightroom.

Thanks in advance! (And feel free to download and play. Click photo for large versions.)

#1 111359549-M.jpg

#2111359562-M.jpg

Any comments are appreciated even if it doesn't have to do with color!

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    Cute shots Andi. I'm certainly no expert and I don't use Lightroom. I adjusted the color balance in PS (using an old version right now due to computer problems...) by adjusting the sliders to less cyan (+10 towards Red) and less blue (+10 towards Yellow) and they looked much better. Probably someone else could do better, but it's a start!
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    I sorta went the same way but added a little bit of saturation. Also increased the greens in selective coloring and then slightly dropped down the magenta. Came out sorta like this. His cheeks came out sorta brighter but I think its sorta fits the photo for some reason, you can always drop down the magenta even more if you're not feeling it.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    Cute shots Andi. I'm certainly no expert and I don't use Lightroom. I adjusted the color balance in PS (using an old version right now due to computer problems...) by adjusting the sliders to less cyan (+10 towards Red) and less blue (+10 towards Yellow) and they looked much better. Probably someone else could do better, but it's a start!

Thanks, Saurora. I like this shot, but don't love it. It wasn't one of my favorite shoots - not as dynamic as I would have liked. But i'll try what you did.... That might do it. I can see the cast and usually I can fix it, but this set of photos is giving me a turn for the worse. Grrrr.

I sorta went the same way but added a little bit of saturation. Also increased the greens in selective coloring and then slightly dropped down the magenta. Came out sorta like this. His cheeks came out sorta brighter but I think its sorta fits the photo for some reason, you can always drop down the magenta even more if you're not feeling it.

Hmmm, I'm going to play a bit more with this... I like it, but I think it's a bit oversaturated for my tastes, but I like it more than mine!

Thanks again! I'm off to play some more and see what I can do!
    edited November 19, 2006
    Another pass:

Before/After:
    111359549-M.jpg111440555-M.jpg

For this I did a combination of the two suggestions. Well, sort of since Lightroom works a little different. Anyway, then I bumped the saturation just slightly.

Comments on the new one? Suggestions for anything different? Too much? Not enough? Still too green? Too blue?

Thanks!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 19, 2006
    111440142-L.jpg
    edited November 19, 2006
    111440213-L.jpg
    edited November 19, 2006
    it's not green; it's not blue; it's cyan-
    edited November 20, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    it's not green; it's not blue; it's cyan-

You ROCK! That's IT!

Before (most recent from me)/after

111440555-M.jpg111551090-M.jpg

That's awesome! Thanks so much, George! :D

Still needs a little work, but the color is MUCH better! Thanks a ton!
    edited November 20, 2006
    "You ROCK! That's IT!"

yes-

I selected the face by masking and just used hue/saturation and desat the cyan-
    that way the sweater was left alone-
    did a little tweaking, ergo the second photo-
    edited November 20, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    "You ROCK! That's IT!"

yes-

I selected the face by masking and just used hue/saturation and desat the cyan-
    that way the sweater was left alone-
    did a little tweaking, ergo the second photo-

Ahh! I was trying to figure that out!

Actually, that WAS the color of the sweater - that's what made me realize the color was off. It was that dusty green with no blue in it.... (Which made me think it was blue.)

I feel good about my B&W images, but I'm still trying to figure out color better. Thanks for helping me!
    edited November 20, 2006
    andi-

my pleasure-