Couple of HDR's

wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited November 21, 2006 in Holy Macro
I know a lot of people don't like these, but I luv the edginess of them.

301178702_ae4a9148d2_o.jpg

301178704_d1a416c811_o.jpg

Comments and critique are welcomed!

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    wally5656 wrote:
    I know a lot of people don't like these, but I luv the edginess of them.

Comments and critique are welcomed!

Hi Wally........ I like the effect used on the first shot, it is very creative, and being a sports picture, it doesn't take away from it. :D

However on the second shot, I don't like the backdrop, the effect that you applying gives quite interesting skin tones, with a different background it would look better.

Thanks for sharing Wally.......... Skippy (Australia) nod.gif
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Hi,

I like the first shot, how did you combine multiple exposures of an action shot?

The second one doesn't work for me at all, for me it borders on creepy, but that's just my opinion.

Charlie
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    Hi,

I like the first shot, how did you combine multiple exposures of an action shot?

The second one doesn't work for me at all, for me it borders on creepy, but that's just my opinion.

Charlie

Thanks so much Skippy!! I didn't like the way the background in the second one turned out either, but you get what you get sometimes!!!

Thanks Charlie.........lol, not creepy......edgy......edgy.....hahaha, thanks for taking the time to look and to give an honest critique!!!
    As far as the action shot, just make a multiple exposure of a photo shot in raw.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 20, 2006
    wally5656 wrote:
    As far as the action shot, just make a multiple exposure of a photo shot in raw.
    Are you using CS2 or something else to create the HDR? I have tried to give CS2 multiple TIFF versions from a single RAW file, but it always spits them out saying "not enough dynamic range," or something to that effect. I used RSE for the RAW conversions, and even adjusting the exposures to create 4 EV difference, CS2 wouldn't buy it. On the other hand, it gladly accepts bracketed RAW files with as little as 1 EV difference. headscratch.gifscratch
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    I liked both ! nice effect
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    I liked both ! nice effect

Hey Richard! I used photomatix......very awesome program!!!

Thanks Awais!!!!
    edited November 21, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Are you using CS2 or something else to create the HDR? I have tried to give CS2 multiple TIFF versions from a single RAW file, but it always spits them out saying "not enough dynamic range," or something to that effect. I used RSE for the RAW conversions, and even adjusting the exposures to create 4 EV difference, CS2 wouldn't buy it. On the other hand, it gladly accepts bracketed RAW files with as little as 1 EV difference. headscratch.gifscratch

You're correct Richard, Photoshop won't let you do this, Photomatix will though.

Charlie
    edited November 21, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    You're correct Richard, Photoshop won't let you do this, Photomatix will though.

Charlie

Is that what you use as well?
  • vulcan2912vulcan2912 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Hi Wally

Really like the 1st picture.Not sure about the 2nd one though.
    How many different pictures did you use to get the effect?

Richard-Photoshop reads the exif data to make its calculations in hdr.All different versions of the same picture still have the same exif data so you need to use a program to strip the exif from your tiff files and then photoshop will work the way you want it to.I think you then have to enter the aperture/shutter etc manually.
    I've never actually tried it myself but I have it on good authority thats how you can get it to work.

Gary
    www.garyforsyth.smugmug.com

Canon 20d IR converted,30D,17-40L,100-400 isL,50 1.8 mk2,Sigma 105mm Macro,Sigma 300 F2.8,Kenko Pro 1.4x Tcon
    edited November 21, 2006
    vulcan2912 wrote:
    Hi Wally

Richard-Photoshop reads the exif data to make its calculations in hdr.All different versions of the same picture still have the same exif data so you need to use a program to strip the exif from your tiff files and then photoshop will work the way you want it to.I think you then have to enter the aperture/shutter etc manually.
    I've never actually tried it myself but I have it on good authority thats how you can get it to work.

Gary
    Hey Gary,

Thanks a heap for the tip. It is just as you said. I set RSE to produce TIFFs with no metadata, and CS2 put up a prompt for shutter speed, etc. It also accepts EV as an alternative, which is what I used in the one test I have done. I'll have to experiment a bit to see how the values you give it affect the result.

I frequently combine multiple RAW conversions to fix exposure problems, but I have yet to come up with a method that is reliable and simple. I suppose if this were it, we all would have heard about it by now. Still, another tool is always nice--especially when you don't have to shell out another hundred bucks. :D

Thanks again. thumb.gif
    edited November 21, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Is that what you use as well?

No, I have tried the trial version, but I use PS, you can't beat genuine bracketed exposures (providing it's a still subject of course.)

Charlie