Would you buy a used lens?

lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited November 21, 2006 in Cameras
Just wondering if you yourself would buy or have bought any used lenses and what I need to look out for. Any help would be great.

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com

Comments

• k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    lenses
    Just wondering if you yourself would buy or have bought any used lenses and what I need to look out for. Any help would be great.
    i ahve never hessitated to buy used lenses, but only off this board. know what you want and do some homework(research) on them and then buy. here you have to be quick about it, they go pretty fast. if you are in doubt, check the feedback forum.
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    I did it and was quite happy... I am having more trouble selling lenses then buying them second hand...
  • lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    I did it and was quite happy... I am having more trouble selling lenses then buying them second hand...

what are you trying to sell?

www.lifesdisciple.com
    edited November 19, 2006
    what are you trying to sell?

a nikkor 135 fixed lens, 2.8, a beautiful baby, but manual focus. I don't see enough anymore to sharply focus without autofocus.
    And on 2.8 you don't have much room for mistakes in the depth of field area...
    I want a hundred pounds for it... (It does work on digital, I used it on my D70 and D200)headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    edited November 19, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    a nikkor 135 fixed lens, 2.8, a beautiful baby, but manual focus. I don't see enough anymore to sharply focus without autofocus.
    And on 2.8 you don't have much room for mistakes in the depth of field area...
    I want a hundred pounds for it... (It does work on digital, I used it on my D70 and D200)headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Sounds like a nice lens. too bad i need a telephoto. im looking for like a 100-300 or larger with a fixed 2.8 for a canon. but i am on a limited budget.

www.lifesdisciple.com
    edited November 19, 2006
    Sounds like a nice lens. too bad i need a telephoto. im looking for like a 100-300 or larger with a fixed 2.8 for a canon. but i am on a limited budget.

Well, we all want one like that. I am trying to sell my manual to chip in to the automatic focus.
    Mind you, the zoom lenses in the range you describe and 2.8 are as far as I know all around a thousand dollar... Sadly enough! I can feel your pain
    edited November 19, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    Well, we all want one like that. I am trying to sell my manual to chip in to the automatic focus.
    Mind you, the zoom lenses in the range you describe and 2.8 are as far as I know all around a thousand dollar... Sadly enough! I can feel your pain

yeah i know. thats why i am trying to find a used one. maybe santa will be nice to me. rolleyes1.gif

www.lifesdisciple.com
    edited November 19, 2006
    maybe santa will be nice to me. rolleyes1.gif[/QUOTE]

If he is, send him on to my house... I also need a power pack for my flash SB800 as it can not keep up with my shooting speed...
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Yep, I've bought used lenses throught the FM B&S forum and from KEH. Both have been great deal and excellent lenses. I would not hesitate looking either place, and I *will* be buying more from KEH (not that many Mamiya 645 MF lenses show up elsewhere--and I am wary of ebay for most camera gear).
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    I bought a used EF 85mm f/1.8 about a week ago from a local shop. It was as new without a box.

Most of my 35mm Nikon gear--check that, ALL of it was used.

My EF-S 17-85 IS and EF 70-300 IS are both new.

I've never encountered a problem, new or used. I sold camera equipment retail and wholesale for about 15 years. Lens problems were rare, aside from dropping them that is.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    the last 5 lens I have bought are used most like new and saved $$$$$$$$ all from people I have met or on the forums
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    I have purchased used lenses off ebay with no problems....I just make sure to ask if the lens is not to my liking will they allow me to return it....If seller says no...then I don't bid.....but most of my lenses were for Kiev Med. Format cameras and my sigma 70 -210 Apo for my KM 7D....the rest of my lenses were new.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    maybe santa will be nice to me. rolleyes1.gif
    If he is, send him on to my house... I also need a power pack for my flash SB800 as it can not keep up with my shooting speed...[/quote]

Photo cat...check out this SITE very affordable and I have heard good things on here about them.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Almost all of my lenses were bought used. I got them through the buy/sell forum on fredmiranda, for the most part. Only been disappointed in one, and have yet to be ripped off. Most are like new.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au