Amtrekkin' - North America by Rail

TopRowTopRow Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited November 20, 2006 in Journeys
For twelve days this November I had the delightful experience of leading a group of 12 (9 high school students and 3 adults, including myself) on an adventure around North America by Amtrak (USA) and VIA Rail (Canada). More photos are in this gallery. Photos and commentary from the students are also available on www.amtrekkin.com.

We departed Toledo, OH, at 6 AM on a Sunday morning, reaching Chicago, and adventuring out from Chicago aboard Amtrak's California Zephyr:
111254229-L.jpg

Our seats were in the very back of the train, allowing us to get great views of where we've just been.
111254694-L.jpg

In Denver the next morning, the train was backed into the depot under the direction of the conductor:
111255174-L.jpg

The Zephyr travels west from Denver up into the mountains via several curves and switchbacks to navigate the grade...this photo looks back at the tracks and into downtown Denver:
111255572-L.jpg

From many of the curves, you can see where you are going:
111255828-L.jpg

It was difficult to avoid the glare, the dirty windows, and the shake from the moving train, but the 18-200 VR lens really helped me keep things steady. This view is between Granby, CO, and Glenwood Springs, CO:

111248253-L.jpg

After the glory of the Rockies, you might catch the rays of the setting sun just right:
111249561-L.jpg

Amtrak's Superliner observation car (the colors and vinyl don't scream "70's" too loudly, eh?):
111250470-L.jpg

But they do make for good sleeping (this is one of my students):
111250882-L.jpg

We traveled up the west coast on Amtrak's Coast Starlight, then returned across the snowy Canadian Rockies on VIA Rail's The Canadian:
111252731-L.jpg
111253277-L.jpg

These cars were from the 50's, and the metal work was quite interesting, especially after the 70's Amtrak Superliners.
111253706-L.jpg

We got off The Canadian in Winnipeg and caught Amtrak's Empire Builder in Fargo, ND, returning to Toledo, OH, after 12 full days of travel.

This was an incredible journey. If North American train travel interests you, I highly encourage the California Zephyr between Denver and Sacramento and the Coast Starlight between Dunsmuir (Mt. Shasta) and Portland! The scenery is unmatched. Be careful of the food, however. And don't expect to sleep much in those "comfortable" coach seats.

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    TopRow wrote:
    After the glory of the Rockies, you might catch the rays of the setting sun just right:
    111249561-L.jpg

I've BEEN there! :D And coincidentally, I'll be driving by again just this week! Nice shot, those bluffs are so surreal in so many different ways. If you get up close in those hills at the base, you'll notice the streams of water running off from higher on the cliffs flow down the RIDGELINES of those dunes, rather than the valleys, in little natural dikes. Or at least that's the best I could gather from the view I got from the road, I could definitely be totally wrong as I didn't get out and look up close. ne_nau.gif Looked totally surreal though, whatever it was.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Looked like a fun ride. People dont travel by train as often as they should now a days. I miss riding the train. Awesome photos, thanks for sharing!
  • TopRowTopRow Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Thanks, Mr. Peas and Coldclimb for looking in. As the train passed those bluffs and the setting sun was so perfect, I so wanted to stop the train and get off. In this photo, you can see the glare reflecting off the window, but what can you do?

Our students were not too familiar with the art of the journey, they are all about "getting there." It was neat to see them adjust to the enjoying the journey, to slowing down and talking to people along the way, and to just enjoying a world without instant access (no e-mail, sometimes no cell phone, etc.).