I'm not a photgrapher, I'm a programmer!

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited November 23, 2006 in Holy Macro
Macro shot of some code I have been studying. Comments welcome.XTi with nifty fifty. ISO 200, f/3.2, 1/250sec (Handheld)
code_001.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    Macro shot of some code I have been studying. Comments welcome.XTi with nifty fifty. ISO 200, f/3.2, 1/250sec (Handheld)

Yep looks like mumbo-jumbo to me hehehe rolleyes1.gif
    Nice one thumb.gif ..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Nice shot Code Monkey
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    eek7.gif i spent 1 year in C++ language what a difficult thing to do i always admire people who do programming
    great photo
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Thanks!

I saw it in photoshop... and was like "this reeks of stock photo". I am not sure why, but it feels very much like one of those photos you see on a programming website; used as a logo or something. lol
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    aacckkk... code!
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Good work.
    Nice angle.
    Good all the way around to my meager eyes.
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    I particularly like the way you have the brackets placed on the following line... and it's a nice shot too! I tried a shot like this recently with my brother's Japanese math notes, I haven't had time to check them to see how they came out.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
    edited November 22, 2006
    Thanks all... It was a suprisingly interesting shot. :D

I can understand all the acks about it being code too, it is the way I feel about a lot of things in photography! All things in due time though.

El Kiwi - I am interested in how those shots came out! Be sure to post em!
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Are you declaring new as part of a function call in the last line of the previous function? I hope this is Java, or you'll end up with either a leak or a painful delete process if something else calls that function....mwink.gif

Sorry, I couldn't let it pass. It's a great shot :D
    edited November 22, 2006
    mmroden wrote:
    Are you declaring new as part of a function call in the last line of the previous function? I hope this is Java, or you'll end up with either a leak or a painful delete process if something else calls that function....mwink.gif

probably... I do not remember now, if I had declared it it probably would have gone out of scope and been picked up by the Garbage Collection. I am using C#, not Java for Microsoft's XNA.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 22, 2006
    mmroden wrote:

Aaaack...debugging a pic. rolleyes1.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    SYN, SYN/ACK, ACK, ACK

Sorry, wrong field... cool code shot, though! :ivar
    Chris
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    probably... I do not remember now, if I had declared it it probably would have gone out of scope and been picked up by the Garbage Collection. I am using C#, not Java for Microsoft's XNA.
    I guess I'm just old school-- I must control my pointers! I must know how deletion happens! You whippersnappers with your garbage collection and your color coded IDEs and your <slap>

OK, I'm better now :)
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 22, 2006
    you call urself a coder ? who puts comments in their code ? wtf ?? lol3.giflol3.gif

jk, nice shot
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 22, 2006
    mmroden wrote:
    I guess I'm just old school-- I must control my pointers! I must know how deletion happens! You whippersnappers with your garbage collection and your color coded IDEs and your <slap>

OK, I'm better now :)
    Personally, I don't understand this mentality...I have worked with lots of coders who insist on using C++ even for the most menial of tasks. I have always taken the approach the right tool for the right job.

But whatever floats ur boat i guess.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited November 22, 2006
    hehe! Didn't know we had so many coders here...

Code is Microsoft sample code of how to use System.Net.Sockets for Network programming. It was horrible code that wasn't useful at all (it worked though) so I had to ditch it and write from scratch.

I try to be very careful about what data is in memory and what is being deleted, but it is VERY inefficient for me to go around forcing a Gargage Collection for every item that goes out of scope because GC takes awhile. Since I am making a game engine, I need every ounce of performance, even if that means leaving a few null references in the garbage to be picked up. I like that about GC, it only runs when it needs to. So far I haven't seen any problems and assume it doesn't run until I quit...
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    I try to be very careful about what data is in memory and what is being deleted, but it is VERY inefficient for me to go around forcing a Gargage Collection for every item that goes out of scope because GC takes awhile.

At the risk of getting seriously off-topic, and with the caveat that I know the JDK much better than the .NET runtime... you shouldn't ever force garbage collection, with Java at least. Modern JVMs are frankly unbelievable, and there's increasing evidence that for many applications Java is now faster than native C/C++, often significantly so, pretty much solely because of GC and fast object allocation. The JVM knows best.... and although for games obviously you don't want any big performance hiccups, incremental GC is pretty advanced now. Premature optimisation is bad, folks :-)

Getting back on topic, is that a photo of printed code on paper, or on screen? I don't think I've ever tried to photograph a screen image, I guess it should be ok with an LCD or a longish exposure. Unfortunately I can't find my photos of my bro's notes, either they're on my temporarily missing CF card, or I stupidly deleted them in-camera. I have no recollection of doing that though.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius