Infrared Mod?

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited November 22, 2006 in Cameras
OK, I'll admit it: I'm a newbie. I mean I've been photographing for nearly 30 years, but I'm new to digital SLRdom.

Can someone tell me (in 25 words or less) what the appeal of an infrared modified camera is? To my unenlightened way of thinking, it's an extraordinary expense for what seems an inordinately limited application.

There must be more to it, but I'm not seeing it.

Please share your wisdom.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    OK, I'll admit it: I'm a newbie. I mean I've been photographing for nearly 30 years, but I'm new to digital SLRdom.

Can someone tell me (in 25 words or less) what the appeal of an infrared modified camera is? To my unenlightened way of thinking, it's an extraordinary expense for what seems an inordinately limited application.

There must be more to it, but I'm not seeing it.

Please share your wisdom.

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/keyword/infrared

Extraordinary expense? Not these days. You can buy a crappy old Rebel used if you wish, then have it modded. The benefits to the mod are, you see through the lens, and you can shoot at high shutter speeds.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1077118
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Thanks Andy and MD.

I'm not yet a believer, but at least I can see where one may be coming from.

Beautiful shots Andy--stunning, in fact.

My original assumption was based on seeing cameras in the Flea Market for $2,000ish. Seemed inordinate to me. But spending $400 on one your "extra" bodies, well, I guess it's a question of scale and value.

Clearly people are doing some really neat stuff. I look forward to learning more. . . .

NEW Smugmug Site
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    I don't see the point of going out & buying a new DSLR body for several thousand & modding it (like go spend $3k on a 5D, then IR mod it right away). But, picking up an old Rebel, 10D, or even D30 and modding it...well, I'm thinking real hard about that. I love the look of IR photographs & want to play with it a bit myself; finding an uber-cheap used, old obsolete, unwanted, orphan body and giving is a second life seems like a good idea. :uhoh
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    [snip]. . .finding an uber-cheap used, old obsolete, unwanted, orphan body and giving is a second life seems like a good idea. :uhoh[/snip]

Well, geez, when you put it like that. . . .

NEW Smugmug Site
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 22, 2006
    If you just want to experiment with an effect, similar to IR:

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=14041

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums