Another hero was laid to rest today...

Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
edited November 27, 2006 in People
Wanted to share some images of a funeral assignment I had. Ryan McCaughn, a 19 year old from Manchester, NH was laid to rest today after having been killed in action in Iraq earlier this month.

111687196-L.jpg
Members of the Patriot Guard line the street during Lance Cpl. Ryan McCaughn's funeral procession.

111687418-L.jpg
Malcolm Forbes of Merrimack, NH, a former marine himself, plays Amazing Grace on the bagpipes as the funeral procession of Ryan McCaughn enters the Pine Grove Cemetary on Monday.

111687668-L.jpg

111687742-L.jpg

111687791-L.jpg
Ryan's mother Nicole gives a tearful final goodbye to her son at the conclusion of funeral services at the Pine Grove Cemetary on Monday.

The rest of the gallery can be found at:
http://www.dramatapix.com/gallery/2145031
My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4

Comments

• kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Powerful.

Parents were not meant to out-live their children. :cry :cry :cry
    --Kres
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    :cryEmotive captures. Wow. Powerful shooting.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    I have tears!! Very moving....you captured a lot of emotion!

:cry:cry:cry!!

Thank you for sharing!!

Heather
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Oh dear, that last shot says a lot, all of it painful.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Very moving and beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    That last show... :cry
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 20, 2006
    Very moving series. Damn shame it was there to shoot.
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    That last shot is real mover.

I am glad to see the patriot guard, we had a group of crackpots from Kansas or something try and spoil a hero's final rest here. Well we scared them away with the Police, Fire dept, Patriot Guard, and several locals that just wanted to let the family grieve in peace.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the really kind words. This was a difficult assignment for me to shoot. I felt uncomfortable taking pictures of such a solemn event, but it is a story that needs to be told, and is something that touches us all.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    My heart goes out to the family.

Very well captured.... Thank you for sharing, as difficult as it is to see.

:cry
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 20, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the really kind words. This was a difficult assignment for me to shoot. I felt uncomfortable taking pictures of such a solemn event, but it is a story that needs to be told, and is something that touches us all.

I wondered how you felt shooting during the ceremony. I'm not sure I could do it. You did it very tastefully.

19 years is way too young to depart this vale of tears....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • NeverForgetNeverForget Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2006

If this was so difficult to shoot - why did you take pictures inside the church? I understand taking pictures of the procession and of the cemetary...but why did you feel the need to take pictures inside the church and of his grieving family and friends? And of them arriving to the funeral home?

If this comes across as an attack I am sorry because that is not how it is intended...I am just trying to understand why photographers feel the need to do this. I was a friend of Ryan's and we are just trying to understand why...
    edited November 23, 2006
    If this was so difficult to shoot - why did you take pictures inside the church? I understand taking pictures of the procession and of the cemetary...but why did you feel the need to take pictures inside the church and of his grieving family and friends? And of them arriving to the funeral home?

If this comes across as an attack I am sorry because that is not how it is intended...I am just trying to understand why photographers feel the need to do this. I was a friend of Ryan's and we are just trying to understand why...

First and foremost my deepest sympathies over the passing of your friend Ryan.

This was an event that touched a great deal of the city, and as such, was important to the citizens of Manchester (as I'm sure it is also important in other communities that lose one of their own). As a photo journalist it is our duty to tell a story with the photographs we take. Some stories are easier than others. As I mentioned, this was a particularly difficult story to tell because of the nature of it. I have friends that were very close to Ryan as well, and I think that also made it more difficult to shoot. I did everything that I could to be as respectful as possible under the circumstances, and did not take your questions as an attack. I hope that my reply has answered your questions.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 24, 2006

and you did a good job!
  • Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Ditto to the complements, very tasteful and excellent photographs. My brother is over there and I just couldn't imagine.
    -Mike
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    That last shot was particularly moving. Good job.

It'd be a time like that when I'd want to have a camera that has no shutter sound whatsoever.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    Oh sad event.Last photo is very moving and powerful.I am really sad that he was only 19 .Share my sympathy with his mother if you met her.
    Funerals are very different here !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Ohhh my gosh...how sad...

The last picture really got to me...:cry
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Very Moving and Emotional. Being a Former Marine for 26 years and having been on a few of these ceremonies myself it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing these. And I am sure the family will cherish the photos. I know I would.
  • amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006

photography serves a lot of different needs. I don't see what "need" this photoshoot served. how was it that you were "assigned" this assigmment. do you work for a newspaper?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    I don't have kids and I certainly cannot know what it is to lose a child to
    war. Your last shot says a lot.

NeverForget, I'm saddened at the loss of your friend Ryan. May he rest
    in peace.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 27, 2006
    amadeus wrote:
    photography serves a lot of different needs. I don't see what "need" this photoshoot served. how was it that you were "assigned" this assigmment. do you work for a newspaper?

Yes it was an assignment for a paper.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Semper Fi
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed