First images with AB strobes

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited November 22, 2006 in People
I'm still in the process of setting up my studio but, with the help of my son, I was able to get a little practice/test shooting in. These are the first real attempts I've made with my AB strobes and I think I'm pleased, even though I made one major mistake - I forgot to pull out my WhiBal card and either expose a shot with the card in it or set the WB on the camera. That made it very difficult to ensure the WB in the photos was even close. Anyway, what do y'all think (yeah, I'm in Virginia :))

In this first one, I use three B800 stobes: (42" brollie to camera left, a very large softbox camera right and back, and the third bare above his head)

111703918-M.jpg

Should any one be interested, the exif for this one is found here.

With this one, I went in the complete opposite direction with the background, just to see if I could control the exposure. Here I have the first two strobes the same as above, just set to higher power and moved the third to light up the white wall and blow it out.
111703804-M.jpg

The exif is here.

C&C is welcomed and encouraged.

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Scott
    I'm no expert by any means....still learning tons about controlled lighting myself. Ok..here's what I see in #1. Light from left side is just a tad too bright making the right side of his face a bit out of balance. It looks to me (on this monitor anyway) as though the light is at the verge of washing out. I think if you moved the light back a bit the balance would be better. A reflector may work equally well.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    I'm no expert by any means....still learning tons about controlled lighting myself. Ok..here's what I see in #1. Light from left side is just a tad too bright making the right side of his face a bit out of balance. It looks to me (on this monitor anyway) as though the light is at the verge of washing out. I think if you moved the light back a bit the balance would be better. A reflector may work equally well.
    You're right about it looking on the verge of washing out. I'll have an opportunity tonight to try it again, this time trying your suggestions. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    I'm no expert either, Scott. I like the "balance" (ratio?) of the lighting in the first shot, but the overall shot could use a tweak in curves to give it the needed pop and depth...same for the 2nd shot. Very nice shots of your son. Looks like you're off to a good start! :saurora
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    You're right about it looking on the verge of washing out. I'll have an opportunity tonight to try it again, this time trying your suggestions. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Your second one is sort of high key were your lights concentrated on the background, a reflector to his left would have brightened the left side of his face
    edited November 21, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Your second one is sort of high key were your lights concentrated on the background, a reflector to his left would have brightened the left side of his face
    The brollie was the key light and to camera left (his right). Large softbox (about 1.5 stop lower than first) is near camera axis and further from him then the first. My third light, as you have already surmised, was set higher, placed behind him on a light stand (his head hides the strobe from the camera) pointing at the wall (about 3 feet from the strobe) to blow it out.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    This whole "gotta have balanced light when using strobes!" is a bit off.. the point of using strobes is to have "modeling," to recreate the suns light & shadows in a controlled environment. If you have this so called balance, it ends up looking like a school picture... and no one likes those!

Scott, I suggest you start with one light & reflectors before using three. I watched an incredible video by...(I wish I could remember his name)...from the 80s, and he would create AMAZING lighting setups using one light, reflectors, diffusers and gobos. I'll find out that name and post here again. You got it right in #1, but you need to add some contrast or something. The second one, the reflections in the glasses are bothersome. Look up short & broad lighting to control the glass reflections.

Three lights just complicates things! I rarely use more than two, and one is usually on the background.. but more often than not, just one!

Owen
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 21, 2006
    I know you are right, Owen, because that is exactly the recommendation that Shay has made here several times on dgrin.:Dthumb.gif

I used one light and a reflector for my familes portraits indoors that I posted here recently, because I listen when Shay talks about lighting. wings.gifdeal

My shots can be seen here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47200
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 22, 2006
    Owen & PF - Thanks for the suggestions. I'll incorporate them in to my next practice session. I appreciate you looking and commenting.