Coin Macro

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited November 22, 2006 in Holy Macro
I just got a reversing ring or a macro coupler or whatever it's called (the thing that you can mount two lenses face to face) and I just got some time to play arround with it. I just stacked up a few coins on a white sheet of paper and this is what I got. I had to do some cropping to get rid of the vignetting, is that common with reversing lenses (nikon 18-55 with a 50 1.8 in front)?

This is what I got, I think they're pretty cool

111710382-M.jpg

111709882-M.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    UT Scott wrote:
    I just got a reversing ring or a macro coupler or whatever it's called (the thing that you can mount two lenses face to face) and I just got some time to play arround with it. I just stacked up a few coins on a white sheet of paper and this is what I got. I had to do some cropping to get rid of the vignetting, is that common with reversing lenses (nikon 18-55 with a 50 1.8 in front)?

This is what I got, I think they're pretty cool

I think it's pretty cool too clap.gifclap.gif they look like large cogs laying stacked up.

Not sure about the vignetting, I have not worked that reversing of lenses thing out....... keep posting, I'd like to see more of what you capture with your setup :D ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Nice photos! Yes, the vignetting is normal. Make sure you have both lenses set at infinity focus and have the 18-55 zoomed out to 55 to get the least amount of vignetting.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    eek7.gifgreat this is superb
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Scott,

Where did you get the reversing ring, and how much was it. I would love to try some shots like those. Those are great.
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Hey, I got the ring here at BH photo, it was only $8 and is a whole lot of fun. You need to have two lenses of the same filter size (the 18-55 and 50 1.8 for both canon and nikon are 52mm, I think)
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Have you tried just using the 18-55mm placed on the camera backwards? You really shouldnt need to use both lenses. That will immediately rid you of vignetting issues.
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:
    Have you tried just using the 18-55mm placed on the camera backwards? You really shouldnt need to use both lenses. That will immediately rid you of vignetting issues.

I haven't tried that. Is there a special ring than can mount it backwards or do I just need to hold it there?
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    The Canon 18-55 is a 58mm. The Canon 50 1.8 is a 52mm.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.