camcorder repair question-

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited November 21, 2006 in Cameras
I just recently purchased a canon camcorder for my wife-

could not get it to 'read the dvd'-

emailed canon tech service, went to the troubleshooting part of the manual; nothing worked-

sent it off to canon to be repaired and it's headed back this way now-

1) got it thru bh photo; should I have called them first?-

2) having purchased this camera and not even getting to use it, and it taking about three weeks to get it repaired and back to me (hopefully), and having even spent money to send it to canon, it's my thought that they should recompense me in the way of a future repair coupon or some type of rebate or discount for a future purchase (regardless of this incident, I am a canon fan)-

any thoughts or comments or similar experiences, please?-

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 21, 2006
    George,

I always "burn-in" new electronics about 1 week before sending in the warranty card. The warranty card is part of what defines your "ownership" of the device.

If I have problems with the device during that initial period, most places will take the item back for exchange, as long as they get the warranty card back intact and unfilled. It's as if the item never left the store.

That said, yes maybe you should have contacted B&H for their advice before sending the item back to Canon. B&H service after sale is legendary and great, and the reason many folks return there for future purchases and repair.

DOA is not unusual for new items, so unless your warranty explicitly states that you are entitled to some remediation, in the form of a discount or rebate, you probably should not expect it to happen.

It is a pain when this happens, but then, it does happen. Hopefully Canon will quickly turn the item around and back into your wife's loving arms. (insert "loving arms" icon here.:D)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 21, 2006
    hey zig-

I thought I could count on you to answer-

thanks much and have a good thanksgiving-
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Good advice, ziggy, worth a bump.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au