Sports Posters Newbie - Where & how to get started?

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited November 21, 2006 in Sports
I am trying to increase my sales of larger than 4x6 prints and it was recommended to offer Sports Posters (I am shooting a lot of Cycling right now). I am using PSP X (just bought XI but havent installed it yet - cannot afford CS2).

How do I actually create a sports poster?
Is there a special or seperate software I need to use?
How do you show them on your SM site?
- show a few examples in a "Poster Gallery" and offer to create one
with a picture of the customers choice??
Can anyone offer some poster samples as well as how you list the posters
on your SM site

Maybe we could use this thread as a How To Guide for creating your first Sports Poster. The MUST do's and the DO NOT do's.

Thanks for any help with this

Michael

Comments

• j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    I'll try and answer some of the questions and let others with more knowledge continue if they want to.

No special software needed. You have PSP. Most use Pshop though. If you can't afford CS2 you can try elements. But PSP is very good, I used to use that and just converted to CS2 and it's a learning curve that I'm on at the moment, but have done a few posters already. Nothing that just blows people away like some that post on here though. But my customers like them!

Create a poster. Easy enough. Choose what size you want and make a new file with those dimensions. Common sizes are 16x20, 20x30 and the like.

Choose what photo's you want to include in them. You can do a simple poster with one photo and the persons name and/or info of the event. You can get more fancy by doing a collage of photo's, then you can get really fancy and do cutouts, do fancy backgrounds, do fancy fonts and all that stuff. Do a search on "posters" and you'll find good info. I'd do a search in the "finishing school" section to start with.

I have a "custom posters" gallery on my site. I just started doing them and I did 2 examples and uploaded them so people could get an idea of what style I can do for now. I uploaded the ones that customers bought after that so now there are just a few more on there. I tell them they can choose any photo's for the poster from my site, but I'll use the ones that I can make work.

My poster gallery: http://motoximages.smugmug.com/Custom%20Posters

A nice poster gallery that I look at: http://gtr.smugmug.com/gallery/146934/1

Remember, I'm just learning this stuff too. Hopefully a more seasoned poster maker will chime in.

Good Luck.

j-bo

I am trying to increase my sales of larger than 4x6 prints and it was recommended to offer Sports Posters (I am shooting a lot of Cycling right now). I am using PSP X (just bought XI but havent installed it yet - cannot afford CS2).

How do I actually create a sports poster?
    Is there a special or seperate software I need to use?
    How do you show them on your SM site?
    - show a few examples in a "Poster Gallery" and offer to create one
    with a picture of the customers choice??
    Can anyone offer some poster samples as well as how you list the posters
    on your SM site

Maybe we could use this thread as a How To Guide for creating your first Sports Poster. The MUST do's and the DO NOT do's.

Thanks for any help with this

Michael