Options

new year's resolutions

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 31, 2004 in The Big Picture
guys, it's been a great year at dgrin.

1400 members, 4500+ threads and nearly 46,000 posts. impressive growth :clap. and we've managed to do it and still maintain that "homey" feeling of sitting by a neighbor's fireplace with a nice cuppa coffee, talking about the day's shooting :lol3 that indeed is what makes dgrin so uber-cool.

the challenges are growing in participation - and i really dig how everyone jumps in to help each other out. they have become a nice draw for dgrin, and a fun way to get folks out there and shooting, and learning, and growing.

the gear talk is great - i really enjoy all the gear talk - we do it here on dgrin in a way that's friendly, fun, and non-threatening - even in you *are* a nikon shooter :dgrin

heck - even our little buy and sell forum has grown in usage - a nice service.

thanks to all of the contributors here on dgrin, big and small, for making this a place where folks can come and have a good time, and enjoy photography.

and so, for 2005, what are your photographic resolutions? :deal

11746833-Ti.gif11746833-Ti.gif11746833-Ti.gif11746833-Ti.gif

for me, i'm going to:
  • finish my street book
  • get better with my studio lighting techniques 11746838-Ti.gif
  • become more proficient in color-management
  • delve into panorama work, including 360 degree panos
  • get published in the "old grey lady," the new york times

thanks again to everyone for making this such a great forum. and especially to baldy and the whole smugmug crew, for making it available to us! :clap :clap :clap

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    and so, for 2005, what are your photographic resolutions?

I was just saying that I need to bring my camera to work and take some night shots of the LA skyline, and some of the amazing sunsets I see.

I also want to find a way to buy the rest of my flash set-up (have only one flash) and start working with lighting at a higher level.

And as always, document my kids as they grow up.

Oh, and to make sure that Andy buys a Mac!

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

;)

finger still hovering... not decided yet.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

;)

You can only lead them to water Dave :D

I want to spend some time also with controlling the lighting in my shots - whether flash or continuous. I would be interested in a thread about brands of studio lighting equipment suitable for home use ( ie: not TOO Huge) and how to use it best.

I want to travel more and see the world and capture some of it with my camera.

Happy New Year!!
    :slurp
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Dgrin, 2005, etc.
    Dgrin indeed turned out to be a very nice place to hang out. My special thanks to Ben, whose mentioning new API section finally made me register here.thumb.gif

2004 was a great year for me photography-wise. Learning 828 and PC CS made a HUGE change, I think I can compare this one year to all my previous 25 years of shooting in "p-n-s" style. I opened a pro account at SM (thanks a lot Andy!), and even managed to sell a few shots:-) - at least enough to cover the account expenses for a couple of years:-). STF crowd was also real help and fun to be with.

My whole 2005 plans are very closely bound to - guess what;-) - the SE. I already have a lot of plans of my own for it, and with the app becoming more useful, complete and stable I hope to get more feedback from you guys. I kinda made a decision for myself that my gear upgrade would be totally relying on its success - or on the lack of thereof:-). So I have a keen interest to make it VERY appealing - at least for those of us who still have access to those ugly rectangular beige-or-gray windows boxes:-)

Thanks everybody, have a great New Year!
    Best wishes - and cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    It HAS been a great year.. I've met so many great folks and learned so much here in Dgrin.. actually so has husband of lynnma. We talk of you all as if you were just down the street and we share a fondness for you all.. and yes.. even the Mac users and the Nikon users.. it's O.K. There are many mornings over coffee when we laugh over the latest "funnies" in dgrin.

My New Years Resolution is to SHOOT MORE and SHOOT MORE and SHOOT MORE...
    Thanks goodness for the challenges.. they make me stretch.. I'm sooo lazy.

Thanks to Andy for staying with it.. thanks to all the mods and all the great members in the dgrin family. Yes ... it touchy feely and very very special :Dclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    love and kisses
    Lynnma
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    I was just saying that I need to bring my camera to work and take some night shots of the LA skyline, and some of the amazing sunsets I see.

Speaking of resolutions...

You know how often it rains in LA?

You know how often you see a rainbow in LA?

You know how often you see a rainbow with the Hollywood sign framed perfectly behind it?

You know how often you see a rainbow with the Hollywood sign framed perfectly behind it and YOU DIDN'T BRING YOUR DARN CAMERA?

Well, the answer to the last one is everytime.

It was beautiful. And I missed it. All because I need a new year's resolution to get my lazy butt to bring my camera to work.

Arrggghhh.

I'm starting the new year early (tomorrow).
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    I know the pain...
    Last evening and this morning I saw what probably can count at the brightest rainbows in my life - and very close to me, too (on a WestLake Blvd next to Ave De Los Arboles), And to my dismay, I HAD my camera with me. Just didn't have guts to quit the traffic flux, make a stop and take a shot...
    OK, they say it's gonna rain until next Wednesday.. There is always tomorrow:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    two of my favorite quotes on "resolutions"...
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing."
    -- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."
    -- Joseph Addison (1672-1719), English essayist, poet, statesman

me? I resolve not to make fugacious resolutions. nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2004
    Rainbow Follow-up
    Just wanted to follow up on my rainbow rant. A friend at work made up for my lack of preparedness, and whipped out her camera phone. It's not the shot that I was hoping for, but you can see what I was talking about.

If you find the bright white car parked in the lower part of the frame, go straight up to the mountains, and then a little to the left, you can see the Hollywood sign I want to shoot.

13444810-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2004
    I can see what we all missed now:-)
    And this is the first time a see a cellphone picture wich is not totally hopeless..
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 31, 2004
    It's been a great and very expensive year eek7.gif

I've tried many new things--including the one-handed drive by
    on the motorcycle. Haven't participated in as many challenges
    as I would like.

I think the coming year will find me seeking out a few seminars
    in different parts of the country. I am especially looking forward
    to Yosemite and to meeting as many 'grinners as possible.

Happy New Year all!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?