Portrait Photos as Art

rderri01rderri01 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited December 20, 2006 in People
Hi everyone!
I just joined up with Digital Grin and have been having a great time exploring so many interesting photos.

Take a look at my album in SmugMug if you get the chance - I'd love to hear what you think. I've just started up an online venture transforming digital portrait shots into a pop artwork, printed and framed on canvas. I thought they'd make really nice personalised gifts. Actually it all started when I gave one of myself to my partner. He loved it, and I must say, I thought it looked ok on the wall too!

The website is www.pascoepopart.com if you want to take a look.

Anyway, it's early days yet so I'm after any feedback I can get.

Thanks!
Rachel.
image3.jpg

image0.jpg

image4.jpg

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    that's not really the greatest thing i've ever seen. i would not want one of those on my walls.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Well, these are cool for tv-stuffs of, webdesign, or whatever, but one cannot say this is still a portrait.

To me, it's just a bunch of photoshop effects thrown to a picture.

But it definetly work for web/tv design purpose, I guess.
    Design, but not "art".
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    A 70's pop-art, warhol look. And I like it. I'll disagree with the others in that a portrait isn't defined by certain rules. If someone gave me a gift of one of these, I'd probably think it was pretty cool and find a fun place to display it. Different tastes for different people. thumb.gif I like the two with the accent lines.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    I think they are pretty "hip" too!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    rderri, I think that you should read this article.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    rjpat wrote:
    rderri, I think that you should read this article.

Excellent article. Thanks for posting....

Whiile these portraits aren't to my taste, I still like them. I have a very good friend I'm going to send to your site as I know she'll love them! Fun either way! Keep it up.... :D
  • NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    I love them! Very Andy Warhol and tres chic.

Good luck. You are certain to find a market for these. :tup:
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 22, 2006
    Hmm...there was a thread a few months back that discussed something similar. You can see it here.

I think you will generate controversy by using the word "art." What is most important to you is whether or not these things sell. As long as they do, then it doesn't matter what they are called.

Regards,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    I agree with the others here, that using the word "Art" causes controversy in a large forum like this as well as the rest of the world... but I have definitely seen worse and I'm sure that if you're looking to make money, you'll do well!

I am finding the website incredibly difficult to navigate, however.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 22, 2006
    I've been working on this exact type of project thanks to a free tutorial available at:

http://www.family-portrait-artists.com/

• rderri01rderri01 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback
    It's been really great to read all of your comments - the good and bad! I totally understand that it's not to everyone's taste. Just to boost a little of my credibility... they aren't just simple photo-shoppy jobs but are actually hand drawn from the photos first.

Anyway, "art" or not, it's true that my intention is to make a little money from them... (we're all capitalists at heart aren't we?! - though I hope you noticed that 10% of proceeds goes to MSF, so it's not all for me!) . So I'm loving this feedback...even if it did get off to a shaky start!

Hmmm website difficult to navigate... any more feedback on that would be awesome. What about the prices? We opted to go with a fairly expensive printer because quality is important to us, but I wonder if it means we're excluding alot of potential customers...?

The trials of starting a new business! Once again, thanks for all your comments.
    Cheers,
    Rachel. :D
    www.pascoepopart.com
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    I like the first example here, the second less, and the third not at all. Mostly I find the colors very distracting in #3 and think it would get more irritating the more I looked at it on the wall. The color in #1 also detracts from the beautiful face that you captured so well.

All this is my opinion of course. I think you are on to something but need to refine the compositions.

Good luck in your venture. If you enjoy doing it and make some $ too, what more could you ask?
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    Art is certainly a hot-word right now.

While these aren't a reflection of my taste (although I like the first one alot...) I'd have a hard time arguing that they are not protraits - considering the heavy use of photoshop in the field. Bit's are still getting switched. It's post-production for effect IMHO. ne_nau.gif

In either case, best of luck with your venture, and expanding your idea!
    --Kres
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Not my thing...but if you can make money doing it ...hey...then go for it. :D
    edited December 15, 2006
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Perhaps a little heavy on the conversion.. took me second to figure it out.

That said, I really like the composition - goes very well with the style. thumb.gif
    --Kres
    edited December 19, 2006
    Win a free Pop Art portrait!
    For anyone who is mildly interested in my style of pop art portraits...

I have a post on the Flea Market thread titled "Post whacky portraits - win a pop art print!". I'm asking dgrinners to post any interesting/fun/whacky portraits to the thread, and the most interesting/fun/whacky portrait (as voted by yours truly) will win a FREE pop art print. And the top 3 will be featured in the PascoePopArt.com gallery.

So if you want some free artwork, please check out the thread.

Cheers!
    :D
  • krisbphotokrisbphoto Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    That's exactly my point. Exactly. Because you have to wonder: how do the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal, or tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken, for example: maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything.
    Chris Brinlee, Jr.
    1st Year SCAD Student
    Canon 20D w/ BG-E2
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    580EX Speedlite
    (2) AB800

KrisB Photography
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Have to say I love the latest one!
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
    edited December 20, 2006
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    rderri01 wrote:
    Thanks! :D

No problem, hey I sent you an email through your site with a couple of questions.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
    edited December 20, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    No problem, hey I sent you an email through your site with a couple of questions.

thumb.gif Just got it. Reply is on its way in 5...