Paint Shop Pro Photo XI

lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited November 22, 2006 in Finishing School
Has anyone used this program? Paint Shop Pro Photo XI? I use Photoshop 6.0 on one machine and Photoshop CS2 on another. I tried a version of Paint Shop Pro a few months back and I liked the little fun things it had to offer. I'll never trade in my Photoshop. Just curious if anyone used this program and wondered how it ran or if it had anything to offer. It's usually a $100 program but until tomorrow at Best Buy it is on special for $29. Worth picking up?

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Just curious if anyone used this program and wondered how it ran or if it had anything to offer. It's usually a $100 program but until tomorrow at Best Buy it is on special for $29. Worth picking up?

At $29 pick up as many copies as you can carry!!!!!

I use PSP X, and did not upgarde to XI yet (I am thinking about a mac). But I've had PSP 7,9 and X and it keeps getting better and better. You cannot do LAB Curves, but so far that is the only limit that I have found in interpreting tutorials across programs. I've never had PS Elements or the full CS.

ann
  • JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    At $29 pick up as many copies as you can carry!!!!!

I use PSP X, and did not upgarde to XI yet (I am thinking about a mac). But I've had PSP 7,9 and X and it keeps getting better and better. You cannot do LAB Curves, but so far that is the only limit that I have found in interpreting tutorials across programs. I've never had PS Elements or the full CS.

ann

Ditto what Ann said. (Does that make me a dittohead?) I've had 5, 7 and PS7. I currently use 9 and X. I wasn't to happy with X in the beginning but am finding more and more good in it. (just wish they would fix some of the bugs.) I'm on the fence with XI. I think I will wait til they issue the second fix before I buy this time.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 22, 2006
    PSP ver. (anything) is a great bargain. 90% of what you'd ever use in PS CS2 at a tiny fraction of the price. For a full rundown, make sure you read the Corel hosted PSP XI and X newsgroups on bugs, fixes and other user issues and support.

PSP's built-in browser(s) seem to be the biggest drawback. Most of the complaints are centered around those in the last two or three versions. Custom or Expert Install is your friend.

Oh, and RAW support is less than mediocre. DO yourself a favor and get a better RAW converter, make 16-bit TIFF's and then import (or copy) the result into PSP.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky