On a day like today #3

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited November 24, 2006 in People
All in a single Sydney day. Enjoy and give me some feedback please. Clicking on the linnks or images will open larger version of the photographs
Stare
Stare_MG_9496.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=4d3664ba53b5dbb1a4a1ed58a0d3e5a3
This is one of the hardest photographs I’ve taken for a long time. Not because this young man was not willing to be photographed but because he stared into the lens with unusual intensity.

Running up the stairs
Rushing-Up-The-Stairs_MG_9489.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=4d3664ba53b5dbb1a4a1ed58a0d3e5a3

I took this action shot quite by accident. I was actually aiming for the empty Opera House stairs when this young woman simply run into the frame. Thank you. Impeccable timing.

Why would you take my photo?
Joyful-Smile_MG_9495.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=4d3664ba53b5dbb1a4a1ed58a0d3e5a3
Because you are simply gorgeous girl and you have irresistible smile. And big thank you for letting me take the shot.

Filthy Habit

Filthy-Habit_MG_9470.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=4d3664ba53b5dbb1a4a1ed58a0d3e5a3
How can anyone say cigarettes are enjoyable. It is a filthy habit and especially revolting when homeless people smoke the discarded cigarettes from the rubbish bins.

Is this seat taken?
Is-This-Seat-Taken-_MG_9484.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=4d3664ba53b5dbb1a4a1ed58a0d3e5a3
Young woman awaiting for her date that never came. She was clearly not impressed.

Just give me a moment
Just-Give-Me-A-Moment_MG_9497.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=4d3664ba53b5dbb1a4a1ed58a0d3e5a3
A girl taking a moment to admire the view from The Rocks.

Blond Butterfly Girl
Blond-Butterly-Girl_MG_9474.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=4d3664ba53b5dbb1a4a1ed58a0d3e5a3
Another beautiful butterfly working hard during a Pitt Street Mall promotion. Thank you for the smile!

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Ted,

What an intriguing series of photos; as usual, really nice stuff.

Three jump out at me especially.

"Just Give me a Moment" is appealing, I suppose because of vanishing-point lamp posts.

"The Stare" is grittyand composed interestingly. The photo has texture.

Finally, "Why Would You Take My Photo?" is my hands-down favorite. It's an obvious candid, and the subject is doing something, dialing her phone. The way the wind has fluffed and tumbled her dress and hair says "carefree innocence." But that smile! I hope you know who she is. . . . She could very well be discovered from this photo.

Thanks, as always, for your antipodean views. Really dig your work.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Thanks.
    "I hope you know who she is" <-- No, I never ask people for their details. I give them my business card and they are free to contact me. Some do, but it is very rare.
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Ted,

What an intriguing series of photos; as usual, really nice stuff.

Three jump out at me especially.

"Just Give me a Moment" is appealing, I suppose because of vanishing-point lamp posts.

"The Stare" is grittyand composed interestingly. The photo has texture.

Finally, "Why Would You Take My Photo?" is my hands-down favorite. It's an obvious candid, and the subject is doing something, dialing her phone. The way the wind has fluffed and tumbled her dress and hair says "carefree innocence." But that smile! I hope you know who she is. . . . She could very well be discovered from this photo.

Thanks, as always, for your antipodean views. Really dig your work.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    great shot of 'the stare'-

you asked him first?-

looks like he's po'd-

'why would you take my photo'-

she's kidding, right?-

re cigarettes-

people who smoke and need a fix will do anything to get one-

I quit 30 years ago and still fondly recall how a cigarette and cup of coffee tasted in the morning-

there are millions who find smoking quite enjoyable-

one of the ironies in my life is that I owe quite a bit of my livelihood to the tobacco companies-

probably close to 75% of the people I scan are having problems due to smoking (vascular ultrasound) (hah! take pictures for a living and take pictures as a hobby-doesn't get any better than that)-

I'd give anything, though, to help people quit-

love the bb girl-

just some really neat photos-

great job and thanks for posting-
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    Hi,

the very first one with the guy is great thumb.gif

But I think the post-treatment is a bit harsh… I'd be curious to see the big-sized file.

Anyway, 'got two questions for you:

– do you stay in contact with your models?

– Does your wife never mind you taking that much pictures of beautiful girls? :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited November 23, 2006
    I did not ask him first. I was a level above him and I waved the camera at him and he did not object. I gave him all the time in the world to say or wave NO. Just in case, as most young man have a bit of issue with photos. Luckily for me he did not change his facial expression.

The young, pretty girl was very modest and genuine in disbelieve I found her as an attarctive model for photography.
    gefillmore wrote:
    great shot of 'the stare'-

you asked him first?-

looks like he's po'd-

'why would you take my photo'-

she's kidding, right?-

re cigarettes-

people who smoke and need a fix will do anything to get one-

I quit 30 years ago and still fondly recall how a cigarette and cup of coffee tasted in the morning-

there are millions who find smoking quite enjoyable-

one of the ironies in my life is that I owe quite a bit of my livelihood to the tobacco companies-

probably close to 75% of the people I scan are having problems due to smoking (vascular ultrasound) (hah! take pictures for a living and take pictures as a hobby-doesn't get any better than that)-

I'd give anything, though, to help people quit-

love the bb girl-

just some really neat photos-

great job and thanks for posting-
    edited November 23, 2006
    Antoine,

800x600 is the biggest I place on the net and you can see that after clicking on his photo. As for the post processing I did want it like that. The original colour image still shows his stare and the attitude but is not as strong.

As for the "models" those are people I simply come across in Sydney. I do not personally know any of them. If they choose to email me after getting my business card I always reply but otherwise I keep no contact with them.

My wife has absolutely no objections in regards to my photography. At least not in the respect of my choice of who I photograph. Spending money on the grear and spending time processing images - now that is entirely another story.

AntoineD wrote:
    Hi,

the very first one with the guy is great thumb.gif

But I think the post-treatment is a bit harsh… I'd be curious to see the big-sized file.

Anyway, 'got two questions for you:

– do you stay in contact with your models?

– Does your wife never mind you taking that much pictures of beautiful girls? :D
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    ted, i'd love it if you actually posted the larger pics here, i really don't like having to click again to see them.

we all want more traffic on our sites, but i find this to be annoying and unnecessary.

i'm too lazy and hungry to comment on the pictures right now.
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    I'm not so lazy as to mind "clicking" one more time for any of Ted's images....and...I dont' believe he does it for more traffic on his site....just my humble opinion....keep 'em coming, Ted, I'll click!!

binghott wrote:
    ted, i'd love it if you actually posted the larger pics here, i really don't like having to click again to see them.

we all want more traffic on our sites, but i find this to be annoying and unnecessary.

i'm too lazy and hungry to comment on the pictures right now.
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Ted, thank you very much for all your photos. They are very interesting, masters done. Street photos are my fav.
    Again Spasibo!
    edited November 24, 2006
    Thanks Yuri. I think this is first time you've left a comment against my post.

Yes, street shots are more "live" as a my friend calls them.
    Ted, thank you very much for all your photos. They are very interesting, masters done. Street photos are my fav.
    Again Spasibo!
    edited November 24, 2006
    In regards to my posting methodology:

1. Traffic is one thing - since I do not make an income from my site it is of secondary concern to me.

2. Volume - This is what it comes down to. If I posted full images on every forum I participate in I would have to stop posting all together as I could simply not afford the fees. My posted images are big enough to let you decide which images you want to see and which you don't. This way you get a quick teaser and I preserve bandwidth.

3. Traffic - I got 750000 visits last month. less than 1000 from dGrin. This is one of my favourite communities but lets face it, there are many forums where I could try attracting traffic where attendance is in many thousands per day. dGrin is special because I know some posters from here for many years now.
  • blessedmama21blessedmama21 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Those are all very nice. #1 is my favorite. I like the angle and the eye contact.