Heard anything about this lens...

lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited November 24, 2006 in Cameras
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about this lens:
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens I am looking for a lens in this range and only have about 600 bucks to spend. I need something for shooting wildlife, birds and insects from a distance. Is this the lens for me or do you have any other suggestions in that price range? Any feedback and/or advice is greatly appreciated.:D

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com

Comments

• MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Hi Mike,
    Here's a review of it:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_135400_4556/index.htm

Like any other review-take it with a grain of salt-BUT this looks pretty thorough and objective.

Here's a site with sample shots from that lens:

http://www.treknature.com/photos.php?cat=lens&id=1381

If you could hang on for awhile, perhaps you could save up some more cash and move up a few rungs?

Hope this helps...

Anthony
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    thanks for the links. i read a few more and decided against the lens. more bad than good reviews. however in my journies i found this one. anything about this lens good or bad. i read about 15 reviews and they all seemed failry good except for weight but you expect that in this size lens. anyone know of any good or bad things about the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 APO EX RF HSM Lens?

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    ahhh...yes the....
    BIGMA!

I haven't heard much about this lens lately, but about two years ago guys were swearing by them as a "bang for the buck" wildlife wonder. The aperture is a wee bit slow at the long end, but in good light or on a tripod that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to see someone who has or had one comment on this directly though. When it came time to make my choice I bought the 100-300 f/4 :D It was cheaper, faster, sharper and shorter rolleyes1.gif But my primary interest wasn't wildlife or birds, it was sports so horses for courses...

(yep that was a not-so-shameless plug for the one I have on the B&S forum...)
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    My brother-in-law and I both use Bigmas and are very pleased with it all-in-all, especially if all you want to carry with you is one lens. Heavy, well built, and great "bang for the buck" as Mongrel said.

Between us we have a plethora of lenses (L, IS, Canon, Zeiss, etc., etc.), both digital and film, and over 80 years of total experience at all levels. For us, the Bigmas were a good purchase.

If you are on a tight(ish) budget, I do not think you can go wrong with it. I use mine both in the field and at airshows, handheld and on tripod. And I admit, handheld my old arms get tired, but the weight adds stability.

The sample shot is with this lens at 500mm, full auto, and handheld. I use the Sigma doubler for 1000mm tripod shots on occasion and results are similar. It has been cropped about half-frame, rotated, and reduced for posting here. Not too shabby in a tough lighting condition.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    edited November 22, 2006
    My brother-in-law and I both use Bigmas and are very pleased with it all-in-all, especially if all you want to carry with you is one lens. Heavy, well built, and great "bang for the buck" as Mongrel said.

Between us we have a plethora of lenses (L, IS, Canon, Zeiss, etc., etc.), both digital and film, and over 80 years of total experience at all levels. For us, the Bigmas were a good purchase.

If you are on a tight(ish) budget, I do not think you can go wrong with it. I use mine both in the field and at airshows, handheld and on tripod. And I admit, handheld my old arms get tired, but the weight adds stability.

The sample shot is with this lens at 500mm, full auto, and handheld. I use the Sigma doubler for 1000mm tripod shots on occasion and results are similar. It has been cropped about half-frame, rotated, and reduced for posting here. Not too shabby in a tough lighting condition.

thanks for the input. now i just need to save up another $300.:D

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • CJUCJU Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2006
    I own one
    The lens is ok. At full extend it tends to get very dark and fuzzy.
    If you can muster up another couple hundred, buy the Sigma 50-500.
    I don't take it off my camera. But if you are shooting with Nikon bodies,
    the arerature ring does not work. It is a MUCH sharper lens though.
    I was wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about this lens:
    Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens I am looking for a lens in this range and only have about 600 bucks to spend. I need something for shooting wildlife, birds and insects from a distance. Is this the lens for me or do you have any other suggestions in that price range? Any feedback and/or advice is greatly appreciated.:D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    I had the BigMa ...
    and sold it. Now, I wish I hadn't sold it. It was a very sweet lens! If I ever again need to get something that long, it will probably be another copy of the BigMa!
    edited November 23, 2006
    and sold it. Now, I wish I hadn't sold it. It was a very sweet lens! If I ever again need to get something that long, it will probably be another copy of the BigMa!

You guys sold me. I ordered my Bigma this morning from Adorama. Should be here sometime this week. Hopefully it will do what I want it to do. But between the reviews I've read and the feedback here I really don't have any doubts in my mind. Thanks a bunch for your input. Can't wait 'till it gets here.wings.gif

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    You guys sold me. I ordered my Bigma this morning from Adorama. Should be here sometime this week. Hopefully it will do what I want it to do. But between the reviews I've read and the feedback here I really don't have any doubts in my mind. Thanks a bunch for your input. Can't wait 'till it gets here.wings.gif
    Oh boy, another toy!!!:ivar:ivar
    edited November 24, 2006
    Oh boy, another toy!!!:ivar:ivar

yuppers. now i just have to wait and see how long it takes to get here. i never ordered from adorama before.

www.lifesdisciple.com