Options

Drought

shaneshane Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited November 29, 2006 in Landscapes
Our local lake is now empty for the first time in over 100 years due to the drought here. The lake usually holds around 3860 megalitres, covering a 238 hectare surface area with a 6km circumference. Not looking too good at the moment.:(:

112192029-M.jpg

112192008-M.jpg

112192006-M.jpg

112602051-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    There is a good group from Oz on the forum. Care to give a more specific location?

I know the wheat harvest is due and estimates are between 7 and 10 million tonnes. The drought is not looking good for home consumption.

I would like to say nice shots but they tell a story in the same way as any other drought.

112192008-M.jpg

Poignant.

Stan
  • Options
    shaneshane Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Stan.
    Shots are of "former" Lake Wendouree in Ballarat, VIC.
    Should have included that in the original post, apologies.

Shane
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    I agree that these shots really "tell the story" of the drought. You did a very nice job of capturing the lack of water. I remember Gus mentioning the lake of rain down under a year ago when I joined the forum... hopefully your rains start soon.

A year or so ago, So Cal was in drought conditions for several years as well. Big Bear lake, up in the local mtns was looking particularly dry. Nice vacation homes that used to be lake front looked to be 1/4-1/2 mile (400-800m) back from the waters edge. The lake hadn't dried up, but it's volume was reduced by ~2/3. It all came back after a short series of storms one winter - to the point of over flowing and floods. While I don't wish the floods on you - here's hoping your lake is soon filled.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    That last shot brings a tear to my eye. I'm in northern NSW (Armidale) and while things are surely very dry here on the tablelands, as soon as you start driving west towards Tamworth, it's just heartbreaking. We are getting summer storms but nothing near what we need.

Sorry to hear things are so bad down in Ballarat. On the upside though your photos are just wonderful.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Youch! That's tragic. I remember seeing black swans on Lake Wendouree when I was a kid. My grandfather lived in Ballarat, and seeing I only went to Ballarat once after 1970, it must have been in the 60s.:D
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    great shots, especially the last one.

I live just north of Sydney and although it looks green our water supply is down to 14% capacity.