soccer - which crop?

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited November 24, 2006 in Sports
I love the expression on my son's team mate in this picture. Generally I like to show the whole thing, including the ball. But I'm worried that since the ball is relatively high, that you miss the expression if I keep it and all of him in the shot. So I tried cropping out Koby's lower half. Which do you think works better?

112215052-M.jpg112215324-M.jpg

tx for your comments,

C.
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    I prefer the first but I'd like to see it with the ball as well just to be sure. Second pic looks a little strange with his body angle. I'd give some thought to photoshop-ing out the ref as well if you feel like going to an extreme. ne_nau.gif Nice shot...sharp and great color!
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    thx for the comments and kind words Charles,

the ball was there in the 1st, but I had just kept a small corner in. I replaced it w/ the crop that has the full ball...

C.
    Colleen

• chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    thx for the comments and kind words Charles,

the ball was there in the 1st, but I had just kept a small corner in. I replaced it w/ the crop that has the full ball...

C.

I like the first mo betta...you froze his leg action nicely and I wouldn't hide it. I think I like the ref in there but I'd definitely chop out the spectator. Great shot! That'll make a nice trading card type pic for your son.
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 22, 2006
    #1 gives a better feel for the play. Plus the ref doesn't dominate the
    shot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    I think the first tells the story better. I didn't have any problem catching his expression in it.

Nice timing by the way. thumb.gif
    --Kres
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    The expression is good but there isn't much action and the background is too busy for me, would rather have another player challenging for the ball
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    OK - crop #1 it is:D I appreciate every one's comments.

Gary, I know what you mean about the bkgd, but unfortunately when you're stuck at a huge complex with another 20 games going on around you, this is about as good as you're going to get w/o a f/2.8 lens ne_nau.gif I also like more one on one action, and have a fair number of those, but Koby is a very expressive kid and I liked his look of concentration on the ball w/ the tongue sticking out and wanted to emphasize that, hence the question about the crop.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen