Error on recent gallery feed with site password

wschwartzwschwartz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited November 27, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. I have a site password set up for my account. The recent photo and individual gallery feeds seem to work fine for me. But when I click on the recent gallery feed, it gives an XML error.
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

XML document must have a top level element. Error processing resource

I know this must have something to do with the password. What can I do about this? This feature is integral to the way I planned to use smugmug.
Thanks.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    wschwartz wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. I have a site password set up for my account. The recent photo and individual gallery feeds seem to work fine for me. But when I click on the recent gallery feed, it gives an XML error.
    The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

XML document must have a top level element. Error processing resource

I know this must have something to do with the password. What can I do about this? This feature is integral to the way I planned to use smugmug.
    Thanks.
    Hi, AFAIK, feeds do not work on private or passworded sites or galleries. You are likely seeing cached images. If you can give a link we can help...

wave.gif welcome to dgrin!
  • wschwartzwschwartz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply Andy. I wasn't talking about viewing the feeds through any type of viewer. Just the browser's XML parser is giving the error.

Heres the non-working "most recent" feed
    http://coe.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nickname&Data=coe&format=rss200

This is the one that works for a single gallery:
    http://coe.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=2056839&format=rss200

Again, my entire site is password protected. Either both of these links should not be working (if password protected site feeds are not supported) or they should be both be working. Thanks again.
    edited November 23, 2006
    wschwartz wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply Andy. I wasn't talking about viewing the feeds through any type of viewer. Just the browser's XML parser is giving the error.

Heres the non-working "most recent" feed
    http://coe.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nickname&Data=coe&format=rss200

This is the one that works for a single gallery:
    http://coe.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=2056839&format=rss200

Again, my entire site is password protected. Either both of these links should not be working (if password protected site feeds are not supported) or they should be both be working. Thanks again.
    I'll ask about it, thanks.
    edited November 24, 2006
    One extra thing- if there isn't already - it would be a nice feature to be able to pass the password as a parameter to the RSS URL for this situation. For people who don't care about the password being clear text it could be a nice to have?
    edited November 24, 2006
    wschwartz wrote:
    One extra thing- if there isn't already - it would be a nice feature to be able to pass the password as a parameter to the RSS URL for this situation. For people who don't care about the password being clear text it could be a nice to have?
    I'm pretty sure this will not ever happen.... but thanks for posting about it
    edited November 27, 2006
    Is there any update on this issue? I was thinking more over the weekend. I wonder if I can do what I'm trying by using the API instead of the feed? I'm trying to create a component for a WordPress blog. I want to show the latest galleries on my WordPress sidebar. I searched aroudn for something existing and saw a few people who were working on a plugin but couldn't find anything finished. So, being a programmer I figured I'd just make my own.

Now I'm running into this problem with my site being password protected. Will the API help me here? Are there any specific requirments for getting a key?

Thanks.
    edited November 27, 2006
    wschwartz wrote:
    Is there any update on this issue? I was thinking more over the weekend. I wonder if I can do what I'm trying by using the API instead of the feed? I'm trying to create a component for a WordPress blog. I want to show the latest galleries on my WordPress sidebar. I searched aroudn for something existing and saw a few people who were working on a plugin but couldn't find anything finished. So, being a programmer I figured I'd just make my own.

Now I'm running into this problem with my site being password protected. Will the API help me here? Are there any specific requirments for getting a key?

Thanks.
    I have no update, sorry.

Info on the API:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/API