Zepplin

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited November 23, 2006 in People
My sister-in-law and her boyfriend got a new dog...or as the call him their 'practice' kid. He really is a cute dog.

112218687-L.jpg

Tritone conversion, with some heavy blue filter, channel mixer blue 100% green 20% red -20% monochrome. Some serious burning.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    Great light & processing thumb.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    The dog is super cute and the portrait is great. I really like contrasty work, I am having trouble seeing any detail at all in the black areas (normally my monitor is pretty good...) my only objection to that is the boyfriend's head appears to be floating in space and is very distracting. Otherwise a great shot! :D
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    you said you like black in your portraits and obviously you meant it-

I love this; love the black on black-

like susan, though, the guy's head does seem to be floating; however, I'm not at home to look at this with my regular monitor-

some of my portraits tend towards this when I go through a lengthy pp (the bg increasingly gets darker)-

great looking couple but the doggie's got them beat hands down-

what tritone did you use, please-
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    Love this shot
    The addition of the practice kid help to relieve some of the heavy black - to very good effect. This is, to my eye, very well composed, executed, and processed. Job well done!

Too bad you couldn't get the poor pooch to smile a bit. With him/her look up as he/she is in the photo, I get an impression of sadness.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    112312846-M-1.jpgThanks all for the comments. He has on a black hoodie...and there was a TINY bit of neck showing which I burned out. I agree that he looks a bit disembodied. This was taken in a nursing home (we were visiting my mother-in-law) and it was in front of a window. I was happy with it like it was...but when I saw that they were both wearing black I caught the idea to go very dramatic with the burning. There is no detail in the background, it is not your monitor. I'll post the original.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    it looks like you just added his head in photoshop in the b&w version
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    I agree, on a calibrated monitor, his head seems disembodied.

I think you need just a little detail in his torso to tie him into the image.

I like these kind of black on black shots also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin