What camera? Help please.

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited November 23, 2006 in Cameras
I want to buy a new camera that has 8 megapixels and above, and the maximum price is $500. I want a camera that is good even on low lights. Any type of camera is cool with me. Im going to use it for traveling purposes. It doesn't matter if it's small or big, what matters most is the quality of the photos. Please give me your comments and suggestions. Thank you.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    If low light image quality is a very important thing, I might suggest a used Canon 10D or a 300D Rebel. They are only 6 Mpxl, but they will give far better images than 8 or 10 Mpxl P&S cameras, hands down. And I think they can probably be found in this price range where they are a real bargain. They will have less noise in low light images
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    Glad to see you added some more specifications thumb.gif

If you're not too hung up on details and brand, I usually recommend people to look at one of the big players: nikon, canon... they have the best experience in lenses and sensors from their dominance in the DSLR world, and in my opinion, it trickles down to the point&shoots (P&S).

Also, its very helpful to actually hold the camera you will buy - ergonomics, menu layouts are very important and very personal, so its a good idea to try before you buy. Go to your local shops, this may limit your search, but quite honestly, most of the P&S cameras are so good these days, it almost doesn't matter.

Finally, why do you need 8mp?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]