Family Snaps -oc flash

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited November 23, 2006 in People
Following advice from Strobist, I recently bought a Nikon SB24 flash (£40) and some cheapy wireless trigger/receivers from ebay. Got myself a male to male pc lead for the sb24 and was ready to play.

Evie just learnt to push her trolley, I thought this would be a challenge so set up the un-diffused flash on the sofa to the right of the camera and adjusted the aperture as she got closer to me and the flash.

A cautious start
110439555-L.jpg
But soon there was no stopping her
110439385-L.jpg

110439682-L-2.jpg

Ez took her up to get dressed whilst I reviewed my pics, the light is very hard from the flash and the exposures were a bit hit & miss as she ran back & forth.
For my next attempt I thought I'd tried bouncing the light. Problem is, as you can see the walls in my lounge are red. So I tried bouncing off the radiator and cream chair whilst Evie read
110440304-L.jpg

110440406-L.jpg
I thought the light was much improved, but a 6' radiator is not exactly versatile so I got myself an umbrella and a stand for the following weekend when my other daughters and grandson were over too
112182824-L.jpg

112182927-L.jpg

112183121-L.jpg
Beth was off to a murder mystery birthday party, so wanted some pics in her costume
111325661-L.jpg

With the exception of the last 2 shots I haven't done much pp and realise they need some tidying up
Sorry about the length of the post and subjecting my family on you all, but they are the only models I have :D

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    Hard to shoot a moving target!!! But you did an excellent job! All are great shots, but I just love the 2 shots of her reading....so adorable!!! Nice exposures and color. :saurora
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    I really like shots #3 and #4 -- nice work!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    Hi Jon,

Glad to see you posting again.

Off camera flash is great, but as you pointed out, it is still a small, hard light source unless you bounce or soften it. I used Fong's LightSphere PJ II for my recent outdoor shots of my family.

The shot of your baby walking towards her mom is great, as was her reading the book. Shooting closer helps limit the visible background too. I like that you shot at or below her eye level. SO many kids pics are shot from the height of an adult viewpoint.

I think the lighting was better in the last 3 or 4 images, as I suspect you do too.

As Saurora says, it is hard shooting moving targets and that is what shooting kids is all about.

Gus had a post here on dgrin about a paper flash diffuser - Don't know if you saw this or not - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47275

Pretty cool little gadget, and cheaper than a LightSphere!! thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 23, 2006
    Hey Gubbs,

Great shots mate...it's seriously scary how quick they grow up thumb.gif

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos