What are these telephoto lenses for?

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited November 23, 2006 in Cameras
And more to the point, are they worth purchasing?

I don't plan on buying anything for a while (just dropped more than I should on the body and lenses to get started!) but as I look into the different lenses available, I want to understand what they're for and if they are worth investing in.

Here's an example of the telephoto lens:

CANONREBELDIGITAL_300MM+2XTELE.psd.jpg

Thanks,
Brad
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    Its simply to get you closer to a distant object...that easy. I use a 400mm (effective 620mm on cropped body) as a walk around lens quite often because it gives me something totally different to the 'normal'. They can give a unique perspective on a photo that you cant get with shorter lenses

That screw on addition in your photo looks like it would do a better job as a weapon against a rabid dog than any photographic use.

Photography is no different to any thing else...you want the good stuff then you pay the money.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    jbswear wrote:
    And more to the point, are they worth purchasing?

I don't plan on buying anything for a while (just dropped more than I should on the body and lenses to get started!) but as I look into the different lenses available, I want to understand what they're for and if they are worth investing in.

Here's an example of the telephoto lens:

Thanks,
    Brad

Not a whole lot to go on here, Brad. In general, telephoto lenses magnify an image, thus letting you photograph distant things with lots of detail. Like looking through a telescope. There are many, many varieties of telephoto lenses--ranging in price from a hundred to thousands of dollars--so we would need more specific information on the lens and what you are thinking it would do for you.

Regards,
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    Brad...
    If you are considering one of those "2X telephoto lens" add-ons, run away...no-RUN AWAY!!!

That is a cheap version of the add-on lenses sold for camcorders and point and shoot digital and 35mm cameras.

I believe that the person using that image to sell them is either clueless or intentionally misleading (at best...).

Someone managed to find one that would fit the filter thread of a Canon 75-300mm zoom lens, and is probably counting on an uniformed buyer using it that way; or thinking they would be getting the 'big' lens and the 'little' lens in one package.

I can only imagine what that coke bottle would do to image quality if mounted on the end of some of my lenses...

Anyway, if you have any additional information it would be helpful, but that's my "from the hip" take on it.

Take care and good light,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Not a whole lot to go on here, Brad. In general, telephoto lenses magnify an image, thus letting you photograph distant things with lots of detail. Like looking through a telescope. There are many, many varieties of telephoto lenses--ranging in price from a hundred to thousands of dollars--so we would need more specific information on the lens and what you are thinking it would do for you.

Regards,

Just curious as to what they were designed for. I figured it was for magnifying by the multiple listed.

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. mwink.gif Would it be better to buy one of these to attach to a current lens or to save and buy the longer reach lens?

Or, for the inexpensive price, would one of these be fun to play with, especially for a beginner like me? When I say beginner, I MEAN beginner--my first DSLR hasn't even arrived in the mail yet...
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    "
    I guess I should have been a bit more specific. mwink.gif Would it be better to buy one of these to attach to a current lens or to save and buy the longer reach lens?

Or, for the inexpensive price, would one of these be fun to play with, especially for a beginner like me? When I say beginner, I MEAN beginner--my first DSLR hasn't even arrived in the mail yet..."

Brad if that thing costs more than $15 (with shipping..) I wouldn't even bother.

Look, there is only one way to get there from here-CUBIC INCHES-well millimeters to be specific...

Save you cash and take your time. Better to carry a $70 50mm for a year than to spend a dime on a gimmick...
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    jbswear wrote:
    Just curious as to what they were designed for. I figured it was for magnifying by the multiple listed.

Or, for the inexpensive price, would one of these be fun to play with, especially for a beginner like me? When I say beginner, I MEAN beginner--my first DSLR hasn't even arrived in the mail yet...
    Well, my best guess is that these were designed to separate you from your money without giving much in return. You have a lot to learn about photography (more than you probably realize) and would be well advised to go slowly. Get your camera, spend a lot of time learning what it can do and what its limitations are. Learn the techniques and the technology. Figure out what it is that you enjoy shooting. Then start thinking about what additional equipment you might need. If you go through this process--and are still interested--I can guarantee you that you will have no problem in knowing what to buy next. Affording it may be another matter. rolleyes1.gif
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    Thanks, guys!

I haven't even moved beyond P&S cameras and already I've learned a lot from all of you.

Brad
    Semper fi,
    Brad