Caroline [Lingerie]

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited December 1, 2006 in People
Howdy friends!
Caroline contacted me last week via www.modellbilder.se where I'm a member, asking if I could help her to take a few lingerie pics of her - it's gonna be a christmas gift to her boyfriend. He is just about to join up for military service. She "warned" me that she has never posed before what so ever, and doing that for the first time in lingeries could make her a little bit timid. So, I equalized the situation a little by telling her "Well, I have never shot lingery pics before, so we're on the same level!" :D (of course we're not) *Haha* (I haven't by the way!)

I must say - cuddos to thouse who master this - it's NOT easy to take this kind of pictures! *Piuh!* There is just so much more to consider (to make the pics flattering) compare to a shoot with a dressed person. But it was fun, we "connected" well and had a great shoot - and most important - she is happy with the pics. C&C are welcome! (Be gentle!) :D

Regards / Matty

PS: I sign model releases every time before I shoot a model, and I only work according to the priciples of TFP (Time For Print). The only thing I demand (in the release - before the shoot) is the right to publish the pictures on sites like this with a passus that says that the model can look through the images and delete (or deny publishing) the pictures that they don't feel comfortable with.

112384811-L.jpg

112384278-L.jpg

112373808-L.jpg

112373714-L.jpg

Oh, how I HATE that the snoot "drifted away from the center"
(or she :D) on this pic! Does it ruin the image? I like it mostly because
I think she has a great profile)
[There was no modelling light on that flash]

112373754-L.jpg

Honestly, it this a "little too much?" I can't make up my mind.
She like it, though. I guess her boyfriend will too! :rofl

112373725-L.jpg

Comments

• jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    I like them a lot too! I love the simplicity in the background too!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 23, 2006
    Wow!! Matty.

Does your wife know what you are doing on you day off??:D :D

I think # 3 is superb. She is stunning and the orange background favors her nicely. The softbox ighting is doing a very nice job, has nice catchlights in her eyes.

I find 5 and 6 less interesting. The lighting is less dramatic and the posing is well...... maybe a little bit too much - but I agree that her boyfriend will be quite pleased.

Also, I can't see her face and eyes as well as in the first three images which I think are the best of the shoot.

Very nice work.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 23, 2006
    Matty eek7.gif you lucky bastard lol3.gif

Congrats mate, you did a totally awesome job imo.

I really dig #2 and #4.

Perhaps you should give up your day job...and i can be your assistant :D

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    I think they are pretty good. But did you at least ask her if you could post her pic on here before you did? I find it hard to believe she wanted her first lingerie shoot to be posted on the internet....but then again maybe she did.

She is a very attractive young lady, and I'm sure her BF will love them. thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Questions like this almost hurts my feelings - of course I wouldn't post her pics without her approval. I sign model releases every time before I shoot a model, and I only work according to the priciples of TFP (Time For Print). The only thing I demand is the right to publish the pictures on sites like this (with a passus that says that the model can look through the images "reject" pictures that they don't like) Really, what's in it for me otherwise? ne_nau.gif

Matty

Jeffro wrote:
    I think they are pretty good. But did you at least ask her if you could post her pic on here before you did? I find it hard to believe she wanted her first lingerie shoot to be posted on the internet....but then again maybe she did.

She is a very attractive young lady, and I'm sure her BF will love them. thumb.gif
    edited November 24, 2006
    Thank you very much! thumb.gif
    jsedlak wrote:
    I like them a lot too! I love the simplicity in the background too!
    edited November 24, 2006
    Thank you! Thaaank you! Haha! Yes! It would be very very dangerous (and disrespectful) to do this kind of photography furtively. No, my spouse has full control of everything I do, has full "access" to my images so to speak, and I always invite the models to our home after a shoot (If they like too)for a cup of coffee so they can look through the images on the computor, and in the same time they get the chance to say hello to my family.

Actually, my spouse picked up 15 prints yesterday that I have ordered for Caroline. She think the pics is nice. (Honestly!) :):

Regards / Matty
    pathfinder wrote:
    Wow!! Matty.

Does your wife know what you are doing on you day off??:D :D

I think # 3 is superb. She is stunning and the orange background favors her nicely. The softbox ighting is doing a very nice job, has nice catchlights in her eyes.

I find 5 and 6 less interesting. The lighting is less dramatic and the posing is well...... maybe a little bit too much - but I agree that her boyfriend will be quite pleased.

Also, I can't see her face and eyes as well as in the first three images which I think are the best of the shoot.

Very nice work.
    edited November 24, 2006
    Thank you, David! :Dthumb.gif I give ya a call when I need ya! mwink.gif

Matty

devbobo wrote:
    Matty eek7.gif you lucky bastard lol3.gif

Congrats mate, you did a totally awesome job imo.

I really dig #2 and #4.

Perhaps you should give up your day job...and i can be your assistant :D

Cheers,

David
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Matty strikes again:-)
    Great work, man! I'm so proud of you! thumb.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gif

Quick question: what did you use as a backdrop? Paper, muslin, canvas? Did you blur it in post or it was this smooth as is? headscratch.gif

And another one (sorry, can't help it:-): what was your lighting setup in the last shot (the one with the chair)?

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Nice backdrop.. I really like the color!

Owen

rolleyes1.gif
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    I like the first one the best where she is not looking at the camera. #2 and #3 are more intense and with the angles, they're harder to look at I think. In the last picture, that chair looks teeny tiny (or she looks very big). Nice job, you must have made her feel comfortable!
    edited November 24, 2006
    Haha! Thank you! bowdown.gif
    It's a teracotta colored paper backdrop. I pulled it out for the very first time, so it was very smooth and easy to work with.

I used 3 st. strobes. 1 with a 90x90 cm softbox infront, slightly to her left (right in pic) and one 70X140 cm softbox slightly from behind at her right (left in pic) Watch the shadows from the feets of the chair. mwink.gif Then I fired of a strobe with a snooth on the backdrop to make a circle of light, just to add a little depth and "drama". It is supposed to be behind her, you know, so her head/shoulders is in the center. But it was darn tricky, because that strobe has no modelling light, and everytime she changed poses I had to fiddle with it by chanse. *Haha* But with this last pic, the circle of light came pretty much where I wanted it.

Cheers / Matty
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great work, man! I'm so proud of you! thumb.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gif

Quick question: what did you use as a backdrop? Paper, muslin, canvas? Did you blur it in post or it was this smooth as is? headscratch.gif

And another one (sorry, can't help it:-): what was your lighting setup in the last shot (the one with the chair)?

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited November 24, 2006
    Thank you, Owen! thumb.gif
    Owen wrote:
    Nice backdrop.. I really like the color!

Owen

rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 24, 2006
    Thank you! Yes, the chair look a bit small, but it actually is rather tiny. It's one of thouse modern coffiee bar chair. Haha! Digg this - I actually borrowed it from a café the same day for this purpose. I just told them that I was supposed to shoot a model the same night, and that I was short on props. They was very kind and happy to be of any help. thumb.gif There are nice people out there, if you just approache them gently. mwink.gif

I do my best to make the models feel comfortable. If possible, I try to meet the model some days before, in a neutral situation withouth the camera, over a cup of coffie or something, just to get a chanse to acquaint with eachother. It does miracles to the images, if you ask me. thumb.gif

Regards / Matty

kmh wrote:
    I like the first one the best where she is not looking at the camera. #2 and #3 are more intense and with the angles, they're harder to look at I think. In the last picture, that chair looks teeny tiny (or she looks very big). Nice job, you must have made her feel comfortable!
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    For first-timers, you both did wonderful jobs!

Great color, poses and clarity.

AF
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    elfving73 wrote:

Actually, my spouse picked up 15 prints yesterday that I have ordered for Caroline. She think the pics is nice. (Honestly!) :):

then you're married to the perfect wife :D
    auraflora wrote:
    For first-timers, you both did wonderful jobs!

Great color, poses and clarity.

AF

I was about to say it thumb.gif

I could find some little things that aren't perfect but, for a first-time lingerie shot, that's quite nice :)

I think you should have added some shot "from the top" (don't really remember the good word…).

Anyway, one can see you really made her comfortable thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    elfving73 wrote:
    Questions like this almost hurts my feelings - of course I wouldn't post her pics without her approval. I sign model releases every time before I shoot a model, and I only work according to the priciples of TFP (Time For Print). The only thing I demand is the right to publish the pictures on sites like this (with a passus that says that the model can look through the images "reject" pictures that they don't like) Really, what's in it for me otherwise? ne_nau.gif

Matty

Wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. Was just curious. Odds are not everyone would think of letting the model know their shots may be shared on the web, and even get a release. I'm glad you did, and maybe now those that hadn't or wouldn't have though about it will.

Once again....very nice work! clap.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Matty,
    Thanks for the details, appreciate it! thumb.gif

Yeah I know, plain dumb strobes are hard to play with...ne_nau.gif
    Basically you have to go with trial and error method, and even LCD may not always help in this case. headscratch.gif

A nice set of studio lights is my remote goal. deal.gif
    Can't justify it right now - but I will, eventually rolleyes1.gif

Have a great weekend! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • blessedmama21blessedmama21 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    very nice. her skin looks gorgeous.
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    I like the last one Wicked.gif
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    Matty, you are a very talented photog.

I like the series overall. Small comments, which are not a critique as such but just observations:

#1 the light and position of the neck are not that flattering. Something between the hand, neck and her biceps creates less than gentle pose.

#2 love the face and the body but again that hand closer to the camera looks odd. I consider this and the next shot most sensual.

#3 best of the lot - cannot fault it. BRAVO!

#4 I think you've overdone the eyes a bit. This is a more casual result but very fun. This seems to be your trademark.

#5 this is least expressive of the lot

#6 very straight forward erotic (unlike the subtle erotica of 2nd shot). I think a much tighter crop would benefit this shot (perhaps at the cost of the head room and the chair legs) Maybe even more off center to the left

Once again I need to stress I admire your work and I could not come close to any of the shots with my technique. Feedback here is to push you even higher in your art.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    Great work Matty as always! I would agree pretty much with everything Ted said. My favorite is #3, a very solid shot! Your choice of a backdrop was beyond excellent. It adds so much warmth and sensuality to the shot, and just makes her skin color glow! I also like how you positioned your lights on the backdrop. :saurora
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    Nice lingerie, too!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Great job - LOVE the last one wings.gif

Excellent work you do and I like your attitude about Caroline having the 'final' selection on the pictures....
    very professional!

- jr
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    ^ looks like a seamless to me. :)

check out savage paper. (ala B&H)
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    No need for perverted comments.

Great series. The lighting is awsome. Her skin tone and her eyes you have captured wonderfully.

You are a very talented photog!
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    great series! that model is beautiful. awesome job with the lighting and on her skin, it looks flawless. thumb.gif

i want to try my hand in lingerie stuff like this soon.
    edited November 28, 2006
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    edited November 28, 2006
    Thank you very much for your observations, Ted! thumb.gif I really appreciate it! I don't quite understand what you mean in the critique about the first pic? Does the pose look awkward? headscratch.gif (*Haha* Love that smiley!)

I'll try a tighther crop on the last pic. Yes, it is a bit more straight forward erotic, she wanted a few pics a little "more" than just sensual. Personally, I prefer the more sensual approach.

Thanx for your feedback / Matty

Matty, you are a very talented photog.

I like the series overall. Small comments, which are not a critique as such but just observations:

#1 the light and position of the neck are not that flattering. Something between the hand, neck and her biceps creates less than gentle pose.

#2 love the face and the body but again that hand closer to the camera looks odd. I consider this and the next shot most sensual.

#3 best of the lot - cannot fault it. BRAVO!

#4 I think you've overdone the eyes a bit. This is a more casual result but very fun. This seems to be your trademark.

#5 this is least expressive of the lot

#6 very straight forward erotic (unlike the subtle erotica of 2nd shot). I think a much tighter crop would benefit this shot (perhaps at the cost of the head room and the chair legs) Maybe even more off center to the left

Once again I need to stress I admire your work and I could not come close to any of the shots with my technique. Feedback here is to push you even higher in your art.
    edited November 28, 2006
    Thank you, Saurora! I like the backdrop too. I figured since she posed in lingery straight up and down without any props, we needed to add some pop and warmth.

Regards / Matty
    saurora wrote:
    Great work Matty as always! I would agree pretty much with everything Ted said. My favorite is #3, a very solid shot! Your choice of a backdrop was beyond excellent. It adds so much warmth and sensuality to the shot, and just makes her skin color glow! I also like how you positioned your lights on the backdrop. :saurora