RAW and in camera parameters.

asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited November 24, 2006 in Finishing School
Most cameras provide a range of 2 to +2 for each editable parameter. However, 0 usually doesn't mean no correction; it actually means more correction than 2, but not as much as +2, so you may find that a setting of 2 yields the most accurate histogram when you're shooting raw, because it results in the least alteration of your image. However, you probably won't be able to completely eliminate the discrepancy between your camera histogram and Camera Raw's histogram, because your in-camera histogram will still be gamma corrected.
Ben long : Getting started with Cmera RAW

Agree or disagree. I have parameters set to 0 as standard, but I shoot ONLY RAW. do you think changing parameters to 2 (eg -2) isIS a better idea?
where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com

Comments

• AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Better? not especially. But the most you do before, the less you have to change afterwards. thumb.gif

Since you can change later if you really need to, just set your fav' preferences up then you're done :)

To me, it's a good idea ; at least, that's what I do :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Hey Antoine! So, you actually recommend the opposite to Ben longs advice.

He actually recommends the Lowest settings (-2) because other points in the the set parameters will make your highlights look clipped on a histogram.

Thats the new info.

You on the otherhand believe its better to learn your camera by feel and expereince and set you parameters to your favourite look. that way you reduce the post processing time.

Am I right? If so, I think you have a valid point, but I'm still intregued by this new theory.headscratch.gif
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    I may have a valid point but Ben's advice is an interesting one I never though off, in fact.

I think he has a point, somehow thumb.gif

But, as you say it: it's often best not to look too much on the histogram: just learn how your camera's working and use it without always verifying everything. Just shoot ! :p
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?