Xmas card quesiton.

lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited December 8, 2006 in Holy Macro
So every year I do so kind of unique Christmas card. Last year I got a lot of complaints because the kids looked to small in the pics. I didn't care much 'cause you can see it was about the whole idea and had a theme. I don't feel xmas cards to be portraits. Granted they are of my children and they are my main focus but I send out kid and family portraits enough times throughout the year so that I can make occasions like xmas and birthday cards a bit more interesting. So this year I want to do something unique once again but me and the wife are not agreeing. Should I keep doing what I have been doing or should I fold and make the wife and others happier? Here is last years card. Tell me what you think. Please. Thank you. :D

112466526-L.jpg

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com

Comments

• TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    After 26 years of marriage, I have come to the conclusion that it is ALWAYS a good decision to appease the wife in matters like this. It's not like this is a submission for the cover of National Geographic, eh?
    Should I keep doing what I have been doing or should I fold and make the wife and others happier?
  • controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    I'd go the creative route - but I'm not married and maybe that helps explain why! :D

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • AZsnapperAZsnapper Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    XMas
    TomaS wrote:
    After 26 years of marriage, I have come to the conclusion that it is ALWAYS a good decision to appease the wife in matters like this. It's not like this is a submission for the cover of National Geographic, eh?

And make sure you use a healthy dose of the healing brush on the wife, along with with shaving off that extra 10 pounds iloveyou.gif

I happen to like the XMas globe idea, BTW
    Visit my web site
    www.shadowlakes.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    i liked this one ! keep it that way
    i am not enjoying my freedome !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    I love your card from last year! Very creative!!

Simple fix, Do both. Take the regular family type portrait shot so the wife is happy. Then do a creative one as well.

You shouldn't need a lot of time in software for the portrait and it won't cost any extra to mail if you stick them both in an envelope together.

Everyone is happy!

Give us a little insight to how you did last years card. I really like it.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    anwmn1 wrote:

Simple fix, Do both. Take the regular family type portrait shot so the wife is happy. Then do a creative one as well.

You shouldn't need a lot of time in software for the portrait and it won't cost any extra to mail if you stick them both in an envelope together.

Everyone is happy!

Aaron

Exactly what I was thinking. Love the creativeness, but do both to please the wife!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    So every year I do so kind of unique Christmas card. Last year I got a lot of complaints because the kids looked to small in the pics. I didn't care much 'cause you can see it was about the whole idea and had a theme. I don't feel xmas cards to be portraits. Granted they are of my children and they are my main focus but I send out kid and family portraits enough times throughout the year so that I can make occasions like xmas and birthday cards a bit more interesting. So this year I want to do something unique once again but me and the wife are not agreeing. Should I keep doing what I have been doing or should I fold and make the wife and others happier? Here is last years card. Tell me what you think. Please. Thank you. :D

Ohhhhhhhh dear...... Christmas Crazyness is upon us one more time.
    Well for the sake of keeping the peace in your household you may well be a Wise man and keep your Wife happy rolleyes1.gif

Hey........ why don't you have a double sized card ???
    Then you can have the traditional image at the front, and the more creative one at the back ......there ya go a solution thumb.gif

Good luck with your decision, I love that image you posted with this thread it is indeed very very creative......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    anwmn1 wrote:

Everyone is happy!

Aaron

i think i agree with everyone. i will most likely do both. people can hang the creative one on the fridge and put the other in a frame or vice versa. let them decide.

as far as insight into last years card. well i took a snow globe and set it up in my little still life studio i made in my apartment with my hot lights and tripod and such. made sure i shot down on it since that was the way i was going to shoot the kids. right before i shot the picture i marked where it was in focus on the table and shook it up and placed it back and click. now onto the kids. thank goodness it was snowing this weekend when i shot. i put the kids out on the porch and headed up to the attic. i wanted to shoot them in relatively the same angle and ratio i shot the globe. so i poked my head and camera out the window of the attic and had my son pretned to throw a snowball and my daughter pretend she was deocrating the tree. shot them individually. now on to post editing. made some adjustment layers in photoshop. then some masking layers. a little paintbrush here a little paintbrush here. add some text, flatten layers and there you go. this years card i am thinking about having them in a nativity scene. well, one of my ideas anyways. thanks again for everyones advice.:D

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • LOVEphotosLOVEphotos Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    I really like the creativity from your card last year thumb.gif

If u don't mind ... please be sure to post what u come up with this year ... would luv to see it :D
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    put your foot down!

joking. I like what you've done. I'm sure you'll come up with a happy compromise. I'm a fan of the one card photo deal without a fold.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    I agree with above. I love the snow globe card!!!! It would almost tempt me to send cards again, smile.

Do post what you do this year!

ginger

Hey, do one for the wife. Kids standing in front of white wall or something. She can choose! And so can you!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    I absolutely love this card...You are so creative. :D
  • lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    This years card
    Sorry for taking so long but my first idea was a flop. but here is the card I will be mailing out this year. Took me a bit longer than I thought it would but I am very happy with the results. Let me know what you think. Thanks. :D
    115278006-L.jpg

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • LOVEphotosLOVEphotos Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    very coooooool clap.gif ... your kids must luv u for this :D

I also like your choice of colors & font for the 'Happy Holidays' greeting thumb.gif