My Lens Troubles

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited November 28, 2006 in Cameras
I have two lens problems.

Problem 1: :dunno

Problem one concerns my EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS. This is a nice, compact lens (until you zoom it out). I has two IS modes, one for vertical movement, the other for panning. It's slow, but it has outstanding image stabilization. The lens construction is iffy, you have to lock the zoom to transport it. Optics are fine, but not exquisite. On the plus side, with my Rebel XT, it's nearly a 500mm reach.

Should I keep it, or should I sell it and buy a 70-210 f/4.0L? They cost nearly the same, so it would be more-or-less an even trade. The obvious upside is the superior optics and constant aperature, the downside, no IS and 30% less magnification. And before you suggest the IS model, $1,000+ for a lens right now is out of the question.

Which brings me to problem 2

Problem 2: :rolleyes

I just ordered an EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, filter, and lens hood from B&H. I placed the order on Thursday and it shipped on Friday, UPS 2nd day air; however, it's not scheduled to get here until Wednesday! (I count 4 business days in there, but math was never my forte.)

How do I cope with the overwhelming desire for instant gratification to have this lens in my grubby hands? Poised on the precipice of finally breaking the 28mm barrier for the first time in a decade, how can I be expected to wait FOUR more days? How do I stop myself from dipping into my motorcycle savings account to keep satisfying my glass lust?

Please help me.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Unless the issues with the 70-300 IS are really getting to you (i.e., telescoping zoom, rotating front element for focus, portrait long-end soft performance) I would recommend sticking with it until you can afford the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. The optical quality of your lens is pretty close to what you'll get with the 70-200 f/4L but with the extra reach. The debate between these two lenses has been going on for a while and it comes down to what you find are "musts" for you.

Don't know what to tell you about your wide-angle. You waited this long...what's a few extra days? Go shoot some wildlife while you wait. mwink.gif

Erich
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Well I've shot with both, I think the 70-200 f/4L is the way to go if you're looking to upgrade, yea the 70-200 f/2.8IS is nice but are you willing to pay around 1500 dollars for one. The f/4L is super nice fast glass and if you are capable of shooting at ISO 800 or 1600 with minimum noise its the way to go. You also have the 70-200 f/2.8 as an option, no IS but still 600 bucks cheaper.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    I was in a similar situation when it was time for me to buy my first lens (outside of the kit lens that came with my 20D) I didn't have either one, but it was either the 70-200 f/4L or the 70-300 IS. Having previously played with some older 70-300 lenses, I found that they felt way too cheap and I couldn't stand how they extended out that far. Not to mention I was tired of the inconsistent aperture of my 18-55, so I decided to go with the L glass.

All I can say is..."I'm glad I did!" I've had no complaints about the f/4 aperture and the lens is very sharp! IS might be nice, but only if you are taking photos of stationary subjects that aren't moving. I have never felt the need for an extra 100mm so that's not a problem either.

I think if you go with the L glass you will be very happy.

As for the waiting....well, I try to go to sleep to make the days go by faster!rolleyes1.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    An Update
    The wait has ended: My EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 arrived by UPS this evening. It was shipped complete with a 77mm filter and the Canon lens hood.

I ordered this lens from B&H online on Thanksgiving day. They processed the order on Friday, the busiest retail day of the year and a day on which B&H closes early, I believe. They sent me an email to confirm receipt of my order and included a direct link to my UPS tracking information. Although they estimated an arrival of Wednesday, the lens arrived today, Monday, two working days after I ordered it. I asked for and paid for UPS two-day air.

Thanks to those of you responded to my cries of woe about waiting for this lens; thanks, too, for the advice on the telephoto. I'll probably hang with the 75-300 for now.

I love the lens! It's dark here and I can't do much with it until tomorrow or this weekend, but it sure is neat. It's surprisingly light, much lighter than my 17-85, but I have great faith in its construction. I'm optimistic about its optical performance as well. I'll tell you this: My 430EX provides FULL coverage at 10mm (16mm).

I need to give major props to B&H. They know how to do business. I know that members of this board have done business with them for years, but this is only my second purchase from them. Both have been very positive experiences. A dealer only 100 miles from here actually had the lens for $10 cheaper (1.4% lessrolleyes1.gif), but I saved almost $60 in sales tax. I also received great service, on-time delivery, and brand new, factory-sealed equipment.

I'll post a few pictures after I take some that I think are worthwhile.

Here's the score so far:

Canon XT
    EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
    EF-S 17-85 f/3.5-4.5
    EF 85 f/1.8
    EF 75-300 f/4.5-5.6
    430EX speedlight
    Stofen Omnibounce & Lumiquest Softbox
    58mm 500D close-up lens

What's next? We'll see. . . .
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Excellent! Look forward to seeing some W I D E shots!