Options

restore program-

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited November 27, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I have no idea if this just happens to me and I have no idea if all or no one uses a restore program, but here's my story-

my computer had been locking up on programs all day long-

I had loaded several programs yesterday and today, with a major one of ms ie7-

finally, my computer went to the 'restore active desktop' mode, only every time I clicked on restore one of those ie script error boxes popped up-

I could close it but when I tried to click on the restore...... the box came up again-

I finally went to the 'restoreit!' program I have on the computer-

my last restore point was this am at 5:30-

I followed the directions and it restored the computer to this am's settings-

I'm not sure what I would have had to go through without this program, but it sure was easy to deal with by using this restore program-

you will lose whatever you worked on after the time of the restore unless you backed it up-

you just got to be in the mode of moving your work to another site or back it up (probably daily if you do much quantity)-

hope this helps someone-

Comments

• Options
    tweakertweaker Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    BTW there is a similar application built into windows XP called system restore.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
    -Paul
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    ah!-

but doesn't windows need to be running to use it?-

http://www.invision-graphics.com/r34-RestoreIT_7.html

'Pros: Provides both complete system backups and incremental restore points; can restore a system without the need to reinstall Windows

Cons: Confusing, time-consuming installation; commands and interface not always intuitive; external hard drives may not work on some systems; requires considerable free space on a system's hard drive '

tried windows restore several years ago, didn't work; of course, very well could have been operator malfunction-
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    ah!-

but doesn't windows need to be running to use it?-
    Well at least safe mode, windows restore also wont delete any files you have created. It only affects applications and windows itself.

Im not saying its better then your application, just pointing out its another option and its installed on most systems already. I have used it many times and never had any problems with it. But like you said if you cant get windows to boot then your SOL.
    -Paul
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    thanks paul-

got the restoreit software with my current system from vision computers (not happy with them right now-only system I've had to return for repair-had less than a year and it cost me to ship it)-

thinking about a wd 500gb external hard drive for backup-

any thoughts re backup-
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    Well when i used a PC :-) i liked Acronis for system backups. For file backups the built in backup application in windows works just fine. I have 2 500 gig WD external drives that i back up to and rotate out of a safe deposit box at my bank.

gefillmore wrote:
    thanks paul-

got the restoreit software with my current system from vision computers (not happy with them right now-only system I've had to return for repair-had less than a year and it cost me to ship it)-

thinking about a wd 500gb external hard drive for backup-

any thoughts re backup-
    -Paul
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    tweaker wrote:
    Well when i used a PC :-) i liked Acronis for system backups. For file backups the built in backup application in windows works just fine. I have 2 500 gig WD external drives that i back up to and rotate out of a safe deposit box at my bank.

paul-

thanks for the info-

am I to assume from this post that you're on a mac now-

I'm seriously considering one next time I purchase a computer-
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    Yea im all macified. I just run bootcamp for my games. Or play on the xbox. :-)
    -Paul
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    paul-

thanks again for your time and info-