Canon EOS 350D or Nikon D50... or Nikon D40?

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited November 29, 2006 in Cameras
Which is better?

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    sarahcsu wrote:
    Which is better?

That's easy, if you are a Canon shooter the 350D, if you are a Nikon shooter the D50.

I think Ron Reznick gave the best response to this question that I've seen" for a good long while:

"there are folks producing superb work shooting both Canon and Nikon. What really makes all the difference when it comes to bird (or any other action, for that matter) is whether the ergonomic design and the thinking pattern that the camera body forces you to work within fits the way you think and work well enough to allow the camera to disappear, so to speak."

Try them both out and you will answer your own question.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    So what is better?
    So what is better?
    Harryb wrote:
    That's easy, if you are a Canon shooter the 350D, if you are a Nikon shooter the D50.

I think Ron Reznick gave the best response to this question that I've seen" for a good long while:

"there are folks producing superb work shooting both Canon and Nikon. What really makes all the difference when it comes to bird (or any other action, for that matter) is whether the ergonomic design and the thinking pattern that the camera body forces you to work within fits the way you think and work well enough to allow the camera to disappear, so to speak."

Try them both out and you will answer your own question.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    sarahcsu wrote:
    So what is better?
    There is simply no answer to that question...ever.

Do you buy ford or GM ? Its simply a choice that does not make the difference that people whom dont know...talk about.

But !! ...the best result will come from the best glass (lenses) you can afford for which ever you buy.

Just try the diff models in the shop...get the people to explain the menus etc so you can see which you feel more comfortable with. Feel both bodies to see what is more suited to your hands etc.
    edited November 28, 2006
    What can you say about Nikon D40?
    Is it better than D50?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    sarahcsu...you are going to have to start doing a bit of homework yourself other than one line questions in here. Find some options of each camera & maybe ask a specific question.

All these cameras including the canon you asked about will do a great job.
    edited November 28, 2006
    Ok.
    Thank you. =)
    gus wrote:
    sarahcsu...you are going to have to start doing a bit of homework yourself other than one line questions in here. Find some options of each camera & maybe ask a specific question.

All these cameras including the canon you asked about will do a great job.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Harry and Gus both offer sage advice--listen to them.

However, your question is a direct one: Which is better? I believe this side-by-side comparison goes a long way toward answering your question. After looking at it, and relying on the advice of a good friend, nationally-ranked photography expert, and former co-worker, the decision was clear to me.

A more fair comparison, IMHO, is the D70 and the XT/XTi.

An even bigger consideration is what glass do you want to hang on the front of it, Canon's, Nikon's, or third-party manufacturer's?

I have the XT, four Canon lenses, and a Canon speedlight. I really dig it. I'm now thinking about a 30D or its replacement, or perhaps some L glass. . . .
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    They are both better. Buy the one you like, that feels right in your hand, that feels 'cool' to you, is the right color...whatever.

Look at the accessories for each, and at your local vendors...does there appear to be more of one brand than the other in your local shops? Go online and price out the accessories you may want to get in the near future, such as lenses and others things...which one has what you like or can afford?
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Nikon D40...
    It's small.
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    I have the XT, four Canon lenses, and a Canon speedlight. I really dig it. I'm now thinking about a 30D or its replacement, or perhaps some L glass. . . .

I'd get the L glass first. The 30D (which is what I am using now) is a better body in a number of ways, but whether or not they're worth dumping money into is pretty debatable, depends on your requirements. The biggest differences are in ergonomics. It's not really going to shoot better pictures.

But glass ... better glass will let you use the XT to its fullest, and holds its value. The longer you use the body you have, the cheaper and better the bodies will be when you get around to replacing it.

Regarding the comparison of the XT to the D50, the XT is more technically capable (as someone else said, more comparable to the D70) but the ergonomics are better on the D50 (and a lot better on the D70). Even though I shoot Canon I tend to prefer the design and construction of Nikon's bodies. Then again the Nikons tend to be a couple hundred bucks more money for the same class of equipment, so they ought to have better construction.

Your mileage may vary. But however the bodies stack up, there's nothing quite like good glass.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    both are good cameras.
    Canon has slightly better resolution, but it's not a hugh deal.
    Nikon maybe cheaper and has a nicer build and feels better in my view.

In the end, go for the camera that fits your hand and needs better. I'd be surprised with similar level lenses, you'd be able to tell which shot is from a Canon and which from a Nikon.
    edited November 29, 2006
    =)
    Thank you Jim Frost. =) I think I'll be getting the D50.
    jimf wrote:
    I'd get the L glass first. The 30D (which is what I am using now) is a better body in a number of ways, but whether or not they're worth dumping money into is pretty debatable, depends on your requirements. The biggest differences are in ergonomics. It's not really going to shoot better pictures.

But glass ... better glass will let you use the XT to its fullest, and holds its value. The longer you use the body you have, the cheaper and better the bodies will be when you get around to replacing it.

Regarding the comparison of the XT to the D50, the XT is more technically capable (as someone else said, more comparable to the D70) but the ergonomics are better on the D50 (and a lot better on the D70). Even though I shoot Canon I tend to prefer the design and construction of Nikon's bodies. Then again the Nikons tend to be a couple hundred bucks more money for the same class of equipment, so they ought to have better construction.

Your mileage may vary. But however the bodies stack up, there's nothing quite like good glass.
    edited November 29, 2006
    Thank you.
    Thank you Tee Why. I think I'll be getting the D50.
    Tee Why wrote:
    both are good cameras.
    Canon has slightly better resolution, but it's not a hugh deal.
    Nikon maybe cheaper and has a nicer build and feels better in my view.

In the end, go for the camera that fits your hand and needs better. I'd be surprised with similar level lenses, you'd be able to tell which shot is from a Canon and which from a Nikon.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Yeah they answered you questions really well, what youre asking for is THEIR opinions. Now saying you shouldnt listen to theirs, but you should really form your own by going to a store and trying both out. They are two different cameras with two different feels and styles in their own operation. Like Gus says, its much like picking a Toyota over a Nissan (or Honda), they're both great car manufacturers, but you have to try both out to get a good feel of the two (or three).

Have you also considered the new Sony and Pentax cameras? Some of the new ones have built in image stabilization which Canon and Nikon has yet to include in their bodies.

But being a Canon shooter from years back, I preferrably shoot Canon, but I wouldnt mind using a Nikon if I had the gear already. Its just smarter for me to use Canons since I have old Canon gear I can use with the new ones.

But with that said, you still have to see for your own. You shouldnt base your entire choice on other people's opinion you know? Try going to http://dpreview.com and looking up both Canon and Nikon (or any camera for that matter) and see what you like and dislike about both.

Good luck!
    edited November 29, 2006
    Ok.
    Thank you Mr. Peas. =)
    mr peas wrote:
    Yeah they answered you questions really well, what youre asking for is THEIR opinions. Now saying you shouldnt listen to theirs, but you should really form your own by going to a store and trying both out. They are two different cameras with two different feels and styles in their own operation. Like Gus says, its much like picking a Toyota over a Nissan (or Honda), they're both great car manufacturers, but you have to try both out to get a good feel of the two (or three).

Have you also considered the new Sony and Pentax cameras? Some of the new ones have built in image stabilization which Canon and Nikon has yet to include in their bodies.

But being a Canon shooter from years back, I preferrably shoot Canon, but I wouldnt mind using a Nikon if I had the gear already. Its just smarter for me to use Canons since I have old Canon gear I can use with the new ones.

But with that said, you still have to see for your own. You shouldnt base your entire choice on other people's opinion you know? Try going to http://dpreview.com and looking up both Canon and Nikon (or any camera for that matter) and see what you like and dislike about both.

Good luck!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 29, 2006
    sarahcsu wrote:
    Thank you. =)
    Sarah, since they are both asking about entry level DSLR's for you, I've combined your two threads into one, OK?

As gus suggested, you will get better subjective answers from the users here if you ask more specific questions. If I haven't already pointed you there before (in a PM), a great website to start with is www.dpreview.com.

I'll even get you started, here's links to all 3 that you like:
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Pick the one that feels best in your hands and see which menus and buttons work best for you. The different manufacturers all offer superb equipment, it's really the skills you aquire that will make it "better".
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    what are u going to shoot ?
    i use a 30d for low light sports and a d50 & d200 for everything else

and imo 1 is better than the other
    edited November 29, 2006
    I'm going to shoot just about anything. Mostly while traveling (beaches, trees, mountains, nature stuff, some statues) and special occasions, indoor and outdoors. I'm thinking about D50/350D.
    what are u going to shoot ?
    i use a 30d for low light sports and a d50 & d200 for everything else

and imo 1 is better than the other
    edited November 29, 2006
    Ok.
    Thank you Saurora. =) I'll try to do that.
    saurora wrote:
    Pick the one that feels best in your hands and see which menus and buttons work best for you. The different manufacturers all offer superb equipment, it's really the skills you aquire that will make it "better".
    edited November 29, 2006
    Ok.
    Thank you, Doctor It. =)
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sarah, since they are both asking about entry level DSLR's for you, I've combined your two threads into one, OK?

As gus suggested, you will get better subjective answers from the users here if you ask more specific questions. If I haven't already pointed you there before (in a PM), a great website to start with is www.dpreview.com.

I'll even get you started, here's links to all 3 that you like:
    edited November 29, 2006
    Ok.
    Thank you, Tommyboy. =)
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Harry and Gus both offer sage advice--listen to them.

However, your question is a direct one: Which is better? I believe this side-by-side comparison goes a long way toward answering your question. After looking at it, and relying on the advice of a good friend, nationally-ranked photography expert, and former co-worker, the decision was clear to me.

A more fair comparison, IMHO, is the D70 and the XT/XTi.

An even bigger consideration is what glass do you want to hang on the front of it, Canon's, Nikon's, or third-party manufacturer's?

edited November 29, 2006
    Ok.
    Thank you, Cmason.
    cmason wrote:
    They are both better. Buy the one you like, that feels right in your hand, that feels 'cool' to you, is the right color...whatever.

Look at the accessories for each, and at your local vendors...does there appear to be more of one brand than the other in your local shops? Go online and price out the accessories you may want to get in the near future, such as lenses and others things...which one has what you like or can afford?