ok...so i dont do portraits (now i need to ask for some help)

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited November 27, 2006 in People

Comments

• NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Hi Gus,

Don't know if I can help because I do only outdoor portraits so the background is usually medium-toned and I tend to bokeh a lot.

My personal feeling is that the background depends on skin tones. A light background helps with darker skin and vice versa. Especially if you want the option to convert to b&w.

Just my 2 cents. :)
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    hey gus-

I love a black bg for portraits-

hah!- an opportunity to throw up some recent portraits-

110834031-L.jpg

94061029-L.jpg

some would say I don't do portraits either, so, take these for what they're worth-
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Gus,

Generally speaking, white backgrounds make for a more upbeat, happy, cheery feeling. Dark backgrounds are more dramatic, evoke deeper emotions, and usually create a little more depth. A very dark or black background will create the most depth, as black is a recessive color and eye falls off into it.

I rarely use black backgrounds, simply because I love shadow detail. On my smugmug website (work-in-progress), I have 3-person families with both white background (#4) and dark (#11), in case you wanna see samples.

But here's what's really important Gus. I just gotta know. What is that dragon of yours doing, unless he's shy and won't say? headscratch.gif

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006