What the ref missed

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited December 6, 2006 in Sports
My 10 YO son was playing in a soccer tournament over txgiving weekend. They're a relatively new club team, just started playing together this fall, but did remarkably well for a new team. They entered this tournament primarily for experience, not expecting to really do any thing and surprised them selves (as well as their coaches and us parents) by ending up in 1st place for their bracket, earning a spot in the championship game:clap. The team we played was one they played the day before and had tied 1-1. That in and of itself was a real high since the other team was a division higher than we are. Well, there were issues w/ lack of calls in that 1st game and we were hoping to get a good ref team for this game... We ended up with a 15 YO center ref who wanted to get some experience:dunno

There were some good calls, but there were way too many mistakes/reversed calls/lack of calls for a championship game. Let me show you a couple that I caught that were not called:

We are the red team. Here one of our players is getting a nice hug from the opposition. Can you say "holding"?
113157881-M.jpg

Not to be partisan, there were missed calls on our side as well. Here, little Ian (quite the fireball) does his own bit of holding.
113157828-M.jpg

Our boys played their hearts out. We ended regulation in a 2-2 tie after having lead for the better part of the game. The defense fell down after the opposing team was given a penalty kick for an offense that occurred outside the box. Luckily, they missed; but that sort of took the steam out of our boys sails and the opponents were able to get the tying shot in w/ about 2 min to play. Then we just couldn't hold on to the more experienced team during the over time and finally fell 2-4. But we all feel that a center ref shouldn't be using a championship game to get his experience!

thanks for looking (and I feel better having got the rant off my chest)

C.
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Very nice captures. Cheaters caught in the ACT!
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    gavin wrote:
    Very nice captures. Cheaters caught in the ACT!

Thanks Gavin, but I wouldn't call them "cheaters" per se (just caught up in the spirit of the game mwink.gif) - but the ref is there to keep them honest and that didn't happen as much as it should have.

C.
    Colleen

• gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Thanks Gavin, but I wouldn't call them "cheaters" per se (just caught up in the spirit of the game mwink.gif) - but the ref is there to keep them honest and that didn't happen as much as it should have.

C.

True, in a way i guess its cheating because its unfair sportsmanship and the reff shoudl have caught it
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    hey c-

great shots!-

in soccer, just as in any sport, you gotta bring up your level of play with that of the other team-

however, and it seems moreso in soccer than in any other sport, you almost have to bring up your level of 'cheating', or 'aggressive play'-

and yes, it's very frustrating to have an inexperienced ref who either does not let the teams play or lets them get away with way too much-
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Your son is 10, it's a game; who cares about calls and reffing! :)

Nice shots, though.
    edited November 27, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Your son is 10, it's a game; who cares about calls and reffing! :)

Nice shots, though.

thanks Owen, I generally tend to agree and try to keep it light hearted, but club soccer is competative soccer and you would be surprised at the intensity of the feelings that these games generate. Also, it's hard to see you kid and the rest of his team playing their hearts out and then getting physically knocked around by the other team. My feeling is that the refs should be going out of their way to call essentially all undo roughness at this age level. The kids don't need to learn they can get away w/ that kind of behavior until they are older.

C.
    Colleen

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    GREAT CAPTURES..........as a sport parent I understand how you feel, I think at 10 they still let alot go. It's hard not to feel upset when you think they missed alot of calls. I tell my girl that if they are letting that stuff go then you gotta roll with it.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
    edited November 27, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    hey c-

great shots!-

in soccer, just as in any sport, you gotta bring up your level of play with that of the other team-

however, and it seems moreso in soccer than in any other sport, you almost have to bring up your level of 'cheating', or 'aggressive play'-

and yes, it's very frustrating to have an inexperienced ref who either does not let the teams play or lets them get away with way too much-

tx George,

It was really cool to see our boys really step up to the higher level of play and I was glad to see them get where they got. And, as I indicated to Owen, I would prefer that they learn the game and skills 1st at this age and learn to play "clean" before they start getting to the intense physical play that is characteristic of older players. That's where good refs come in b/c they really set the tone of the game. Players quickly realize what they can get away with in a given setting and it becomes less about the game and more about winning at all costsrolleyes1.gif .

C.
    Colleen

edited November 27, 2006
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    GREAT CAPTURES..........as a sport parent I understand how you feel, I think at 10 they still let alot go. It's hard not to feel upset when you think they missed alot of calls. I tell my girl that if they are letting that stuff go then you gotta roll with it.

tx dbaker - I don't mind missed calls like hand balls, out of bounds and relatively minor fouls; I constantly remind my boys as well that we have to go by what the ref sees and how he sees it. It's the missed rough play and pushing around that gets my goat - particularly when there seems to be a pattern of repeated offenses w/ a given team...

C.
    Colleen

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    agreed
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • klmclaughlinklmclaughlin Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    part of the game..
    Wait until your son is 15, 16, 17..... The game only gets more physical. The nature of the game is such that the center ref cannot always be in position to see every infraction. A good AR will snap his flag when he sees something the center misses, but the center always has the perogative to wave the play on. Here's one the center missed because his line of vision was shielded by the player in the white jersey. From his vantage point, he probably thought both players were going for the header, when in fact the player in navy was just trying to push off the player in white (my son.) He succeeded. Oh well. Play on.

It's still a beautiful game. I just encourage my boys to acquire as much skill as possible. In the grand scheme of things, superior skill will dominate. Try not to focus on the negative. At age 10, they are just learning the physical aggressiveness of the game. The ref must have had reasons for his decision. Some save their calls for truly dangerous play. (photo #2)
    103745565-M.jpg

#2: slide tackle from behind: yellow card.
    102993139-M-1.jpg
    Enjoying the process of learning.
    edited November 28, 2006
    Wait until your son is 15, 16, 17..... The game only gets more physical. The nature of the game is such that the center ref cannot always be in position to see every infraction. A good AR will snap his flag when he sees something the center misses, but the center always has the perogative to wave the play on. Here's one the center missed because his line of vision was shielded by the player in the white jersey. From his vantage point, he probably thought both players were going for the header, when in fact the player in navy was just trying to push off the player in white (my son.) He succeeded. Oh well. Play on.

It's still a beautiful game. I just encourage my boys to acquire as much skill as possible. In the grand scheme of things, superior skill will dominate. Try not to focus on the negative. At age 10, they are just learning the physical aggressiveness of the game. The ref must have had reasons for his decision. Some save their calls for truly dangerous play. (photo #2)

thanks for your comments (and great pics that illustrate your point well) and I generally agree w/ you about the physical nature (and that it will get more physical) of the game and acknowledge that a refs line of site can impact whether or not they see the action like the side line sees it. Any given single call I can take or leave (maybe not some of the other parents, but my hubbie is also a ref and I've learned to respect most of them), but consistently missed/wrong calls from a ref that is obviously just learning the ropes are another issue - particularly for a game that is deciding a championship.

Like you, I really enjoy the game and really enjoy seeing it played well. I will grumble (to my hubbie or other parents, usually out of earshot of the players/my kids) about specific calls, but I try to keep it all in perspective and put on the strong face for the kids and encourage them to take what life (or the ref) gives and use it as a reason to get better. Like Owen said, it is just a game and they are only 10.

C.
    Colleen

• JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Give them a break. The first guy is only trying to hold him up and the second is trying to pull him along. Great action photos!
    edited November 28, 2006
    JESTER wrote:
    Give them a break. The first guy is only trying to hold him up and the second is trying to pull him along. Great action photos!

Laughing.gif:D Love your attitude Jester. Tx for commenting.

C.
    Colleen

• blobblob Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    It happens more at the higher levels
    example: high school girls soccer. No foul called.

112698233-L.jpg
  • skufukuskufuku Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    On my sons rec football team it's so blatant you can usually tell who the refs. have chosen to win. headscratch.gif
    Notice the ref. looking right at the face mask.

105013885-L.jpg

This was called a straight arm. Little high to me, BTW same ref.

105013692-L.jpg

No bias here of course.
    edited December 3, 2006
    of course, no one would expect it of me, but I can get quite irate over poor refereeing-

my grandsons will start playing soon-

need to be sure to take my pills for everybody's sake-
    edited December 3, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    of course, no one would expect it of me, but I can get quite irate over poor refereeing-

my grandsons will start playing soon-

need to be sure to take my pills for everybody's sake-

Oh, you're one of those types of grandparents:D When my boys 1st started playing, they were 5 and 7. In the younger league, stats weren't even kept and they only had one ref on the (much smaller) field, as much to keep control and help teach the rules as to call fouls. So remember George, let them develop the love of the game 1st. Once they get a bit older and have developed the skills and nature to be competative, then worry about the ref'ingmwink.gif

but most of all, focus on taking pictures of the action, then you won't have time to worry about the calls.

cheers and thanks every one for the comments and lively discussion!

C.
    Colleen

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 5, 2006
    All I have to say is for those of you who haven't, give ref'ing a try.

It's not as easy as it sounds. Trust me mwink.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 6, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Oh, you're one of those types of grandparents:D When my boys 1st started playing, they were 5 and 7. In the younger league, stats weren't even kept and they only had one ref on the (much smaller) field, as much to keep control and help teach the rules as to call fouls. So remember George, let them develop the love of the game 1st. Once they get a bit older and have developed the skills and nature to be competative, then worry about the ref'ingmwink.gif

but most of all, focus on taking pictures of the action, then you won't have time to worry about the calls.

cheers and thanks every one for the comments and lively discussion!

C.

yes, taking pics will definitely help-

more importantly, my wife will keep me in line-