Horrific results

hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited November 27, 2006 in Sports
Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or else.

Went to shoot the 4-AAAA semifinal football game in Goose Creek. Gaffney vs Stratford in a battle of old foes. I have never shot there, so I was going into an unknown to begin with. I have been shooting on full manual and keeping the apperature at f/2.8 and setting the shutter speed for about 200-320, ETTL flash f/2.8 70-200 L and my shots have been getting more consistant, and better all around in my eyes.

I got he bright idea to shoot Apperature priority. The pics were awful. Simply horrible. Color is so far out of whack from one picture to the next it made me physicaly ill. One shot is way too warm, and sharp, the next is ok as far as color but the shutter speed was too slow and is blurry.

Rule number one, stick with what works in a big game. Experiment on less critical ones.

Good news is Gaffney won, and I get to shoot at Williams Brice Stadium at 12:30 PM next saturday, 70f and sunny!

Woo Hoo!
Scott

Canon Rebel XT
Canon 580 EX Speedlight
Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
SanDisk Ultra IIs

Comments

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    if u shot in A at 2.8 then something else probably caused the prob, which could just be the lights were worse there than at home

i am always tweaking something to get it better
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    I got he bright idea to shoot Apperature priority. The pics were awful. Simply horrible. Color is so far out of whack from one picture to the next it made me physicaly ill. One shot is way too warm, and sharp, the next is ok as far as color but the shutter speed was too slow and is blurry.
    The blurriness is because you let the camera set the shutter speed. It does not know how fast or slow a shutter you need. When you shot in M mode you took that control for yourself. Then, using the flash in TTL mode, you had the camera add any extra light as needed given the aperture and shutter speed that you instructed.

Rule number 2 for you: don't shoot Av mode in dim light. :) Also note that flash metering works fundamentally different in Av mode than it does in M mode. And that, in all honesty, is probably the bulk of your problems that night.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited November 27, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or else.

Went to shoot the 4-AAAA semifinal football game in Goose Creek. Gaffney vs Stratford in a battle of old foes. I have never shot there, so I was going into an unknown to begin with. I have been shooting on full manual and keeping the apperature at f/2.8 and setting the shutter speed for about 200-320, ETTL flash f/2.8 70-200 L and my shots have been getting more consistant, and better all around in my eyes.

Rule number one, stick with what works in a big game. Experiment on less critical ones.

Good news is Gaffney won, and I get to shoot at Williams Brice Stadium at 12:30 PM next saturday, 70f and sunny!

Woo Hoo!

who is playing @ Williams Brice Stadium at 12:30 PM next saturday ?
    I wonder if my NCHSAA press pass witll get me on the field
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    The blurriness is because you let the camera set the shutter speed. It does not know how fast or slow a shutter you need. When you shot in M mode you took that control for yourself. Then, using the flash in TTL mode, you had the camera add any extra light as needed given the aperture and shutter speed that you instructed.

Rule number 2 for you: don't shoot Av mode in dim light. :) Also note that flash metering works fundamentally different in Av mode than it does in M mode. And that, in all honesty, is probably the bulk of your problems that night.

recent thread on this along with links to older threads-

http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47381
  • hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    who is playing @ Williams Brice Stadium at 12:30 PM next saturday ?
    I wonder if my NCHSAA press pass witll get me on the field

Gaffney and Irmo Sat @ 12:30. YOu will only get on the field if you call the SCHSL office and they give you permission. I would think that without a media sponsor, like a local paper, the answer would be no. You could give them a call and ask though.

I have to get a pass from the head coach.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
    edited November 27, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    Gaffney and Irmo Sat @ 12:30. YOu will only get on the field if you call the SCHSL office and they give you permission. I would think that without a media sponsor, like a local paper, the answer would be no. You could give them a call and ask though.

I have to get a pass from the head coach.

thx

my NC sponsor is working on it now
    If you wanna see a great game come to Clt Sat at 7:30pm, the Butler vs Independence game has been moved to Memorial stadium in Clt