Exif Info Not Available

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited November 28, 2006 in Finishing School
Not sure this is the right forum, and I'm not sure if this is a Smugmug issue or a processing one. I have recently been forced to temporarily using an old PC with an older verion of PS (6.0, I believe) and a less enhanced version of RawShooter. The images I have been working on are not showing exif info when I upload them to my SmugMug site. I do choose "Save As" when processing...nothing else has changed. What am I doing wrong? I have checked my site and older shots still show the exif info. I tried doing a search on this, but came up with nothing. :dunno Maybe a kind mod can lead me down the path of enlightenment. :rolleyes

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Not sure this is the right forum, and I'm not sure if this is a Smugmug issue or a processing one. I have recently been forced to temporarily using an old PC with an older verion of PS (6.0, I believe) and a less enhanced version of RawShooter. The images I have been working on are not showing exif info when I upload them to my SmugMug site. I do choose "Save As" when processing...nothing else has changed. What am I doing wrong? I have checked my site and older shots still show the exif info. I tried doing a search on this, but came up with nothing. ne_nau.gif Maybe a kind mod can lead me down the path of enlightenment. rolleyes1.gif
    It's being stripped somehow, on your end. Check the preferences in RawShooter.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    You are probably having trouble in one of two places. I'm guessing that you are using RawShooter Essentials and that where the problem is:

1) In RSE, click on the Batch Convert tab and make sure that the Meta Data control is set to EXIF.
    2) In PS, use Save As, not Save for Web.

Let us know if you are still having a problem.

Cheers,
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Hi Guys...after Andy's reply, I checked RawShooter last nite (it's the basic free download) and the meta data was set up correctly for EXIF in the batch processing. And yes, Richard, I always use "save as" not "save for web" for my files.

I'm really stumped. Like I said, I am using an older version of PS (version 6.0). I haven't used this version since before I signed up for a smugmug account and I can't remember if it saved EXIF before or not. Is there anything stupid I could have done on my camera????? ne_nau.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Hi Guys...after Andy's reply, I checked RawShooter last nite (it's the basic free download) and the meta data was set up correctly for EXIF in the batch processing. And yes, Richard, I always use "save as" not "save for web" for my files.

I'm really stumped. Like I said, I am using an older version of PS (version 6.0). I haven't used this version since before I signed up for a smugmug account and I can't remember if it saved EXIF before or not. Is there anything stupid I could have done on my camera????? ne_nau.gif
    Nope. It's being stripped in your save process somehow.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    saurora wrote:

Hi Susan,

I never used PS 6, but I found this on Google:
    Last set of advanced EXIF manipulation fonctions is the ability to save EXIF metadata to disk and to load it back from disk. This is useful is for instance you plan to edit an image in a tool that you do know does not preserve EXIF metadata (like Adobe Photoshop 6.0 or earlier versions). In this case, just save the EXIF metadata to disk, retouch your picture and reload the metadata from disk!
    So it looks like you are doing everything right, but PS 6 just doesn't care. Is it really important? If so, there might be some things you could do using other utility programs, but it would be pretty complicated.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Richard, you're a jewel! It actually isn't that important, I am only using it temporarily until my newer pc is fixed (or replaced) and I can return to using CS. But I am on DP and some people like to view the exif info (myself included). I just thought I was doing something un-cool!!! I need to learn to be a better Google-er. Thanks....I learn something new on this forum every day!! :saurora