Options

RAW files from 20D invisible to my laptop

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited November 29, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I have a Sony Vaio running XP and CS2. When I connect my camera, or use my Epson AIO to scan the memory card, the computer never *sees* the RAW files. I have to use my work's HP deskstop in order to rip and work the RAWs, and its a huge pain, especially if I have multiple shoots over a weekend. I end up trashing RAWs and just work with the JPEGs.

I have tried updating every Canon utility and program I could find, installed the microsoft RAW viewer plug in and nothing fixes it.

thoughts?
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    I have a Sony Vaio running XP and CS2. When I connect my camera, or use my Epson AIO to scan the memory card, the computer never *sees* the RAW files. I have to use my work's HP deskstop in order to rip and work the RAWs, and its a huge pain, especially if I have multiple shoots over a weekend. I end up trashing RAWs and just work with the JPEGs.

I have tried updating every Canon utility and program I could find, installed the microsoft RAW viewer plug in and nothing fixes it.

thoughts?
    Might be considered a system file. Check to see is you have system files
    turned on for viewing and also show extensions.
    Windows Explorer ... tools ... Folder Options ... View tab
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited November 29, 2006
    Yes, turn on file extensions. The .JPG files will have the same name as the RAW files, excepting for the .JPG or .CR2. I'd be surprised if the RAW files weren't transfered over to your HD at the same time.

Do you have Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) installed? That's the only way CS2 can deal with 20D RAW files. Free download from Adobe.

Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) which came with your camera is also made to open up the .CR2 files. Ver. 1.6 came with the camera. The Latest version is DPP2.2, available from Canon, and can only update itself if you have an older copy of Canon DPP software (or any other Canon software from your CD's that came with the camera) loaded on your computer. You'll need to have XP with service pack 2.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yes, turn on file extensions. The .JPG files will have the same name as the RAW files, excepting for the .JPG or .CR2. I'd be surprised if the RAW files weren't transfered over to your HD at the same time.

Do you have Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) installed? That's the only way CS2 can deal with 20D RAW files. Free download from Adobe.

Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) which came with your camera is also made to open up the .CR2 files. Ver. 1.6 came with the camera. The Latest version is DPP2.2, available from Canon, and can only update itself if you have an older copy of Canon DPP software (or any other Canon software from your CD's that came with the camera) loaded on your computer. You'll need to have XP with service pack 2.

thanks for the advice, i will certainly look into this. I don't believe I have ACR installed, so I will certainly do that.

Also, whenever I connect my camera, Elements (used to have it before CS2) launches and tries to get images. I have set preferences to open all JPGs with CS2, but can't figure out how to re-set the preferred program for camera ripping. thx
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers